Mountain Project Logo

Misty Mountain Spectre

Original Post
Jerome Penner · · Louisville KY · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 30

Has anyone seen the new harness Misty Mountain Spectre harness posted on their website today? Im in the market for a new harness and it looks pretty solid anyone have an opinion on it just by looking at it? I will be mostly cragging and am just now learning to place gear so I won't be doing much trad or multi pitch stuff for a while.

Alex Bedenbaugh · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

I took a look at one last time I was at their factory. It looks absolutely fantastic imo. Like any of their high end harnesses, the Spectre is designed to be unbelievably comfortable. I'm a fan of the new (not strength rated) rear loop as opposed to the bulky, dangly old full strength design. The new gear loops seem like they might actually solve a problem most people haven't considered. They're SUPER stiff, so they won't flop around with a ton of stuff racked on them. I'd have bought one right then and there had I not already owned two 2015 harnesses from them already (Cadillac and Intrepid). Overall, seems to me like a harness to compete with Arc'Teryx and Black Diamond's high end models. If you want something insanely comfortable, pretty light, with sweet features and you don't mind the extra cost I'd say it's worth buying.

RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335

Looks sick, I like the look of the new gear loops. I would probably be picking one up if I didn't just get a Sonic.

Sam Stephens · · PORTLAND, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 1,090

I'd buy one if I hadn't bought a new Turbo this year. They make great stuff

Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90

In case anyone else is looking.

mistymountain.com/recreatio…

I guess without seeing it in person its hard to tell, but wont the gear loops just sag from weight and be about the same as they were before? What gives them rigidity to stay "easy to clip" once some gear is added?

Otherwise looks pretty descent, and a great brand.

Chris Reyes · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 40

Anyone have any idea how it packs down or what the weight is? Is this their swing at the current wave of laminated harnesses that are coming out now (Arc 395A, BD Solution, etc)

Edit:

Campsaver ( campsaver.com/spectre-harness ) has it at 13.2 oz.

Alex Bedenbaugh · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Brian: they seem to have some sort of pretty beefy support that braces the gear loops to keep them from drooping.
Chris: Misty hasn't been known to make extremely packable harnesses, the rigid gear loops aren't making that any better as far as I'm aware. As well, it's almost definitely their answer to the harnesses you mentioned.

Chris Reyes · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 40

Alex: I was holding out hope they'd make something a bit more lightweight than their current selection. Would love to see them do something a bit more packable for some longer trips/alpine stuff.

Jerome Penner · · Louisville KY · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 30

would y'all think the new Spectre or the Turbo would be better? those are the two I'm between at the moment, i really want a Cadillac but i feel like its going to be more harness than I need.

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10
Jerome P wrote:would y'all think the new Spectre or the Turbo would be better? those are the two I'm between at the moment, i really want a Cadillac but i feel like its going to be more harness than I need.
I have not tried the Spectre yet, but the Turbo is an excellent harness. I've had one for a couple of years now and think it's one of the best harnesses Misty has made. It's great for cragging and multi-pitch. I like to waist rack and can get the full rack on it without issues, it's comfortable and solid, yet light enough to sport climb in too. The Spectre is definitely appealing, but you won't go wrong with a Turbo (the Sonic is a Turbo with adjustable legs, so if you like those that's an option).
Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180

I've been climbing on a Cadillac for a couple of years and while I think it is an OK harness I'm not in love with it. I have no need for six loops and the harness feels like 1998. It is clearly well made and comfortable but I generally don't like the gear loops or materials. I looked at the Spectre a couple of weeks ago and I think it is an improvement for what I want. I'm not sure I'll buy another Misty harness though, there are tons of good harnesses on the market that meet my criteria for less money.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Misty Mountain Spectre "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.