Mountain Project Logo

New to South Lake Tahoe: looking for after-work scrambles and/or partners!

Original Post
Alyssa K · · South Lake Tahoe · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 46

Just moved to South Lake Tahoe for work, and I'm hoping to find some fun stuff close to town to get on after work. Any sort of 4th/easy 5th scrambles with somewhat short approaches would be perfect. Just looking for places to get an after-work workout in while we've still got daylight and warm temps.

Also looking for local climbing partners for after-work sessions and/or more adventurey weekend stuff. I know zero climbers up here now, so I'm also accepting any other info about climbing in the Tahoe area or meeting climbers here!

Short Fall Sean · · Bishop, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 7

Hi Alyssa, I just posted my own thread looking for partners here: mountainproject.com/v/looki…

Hit me up if you're interested in getting out some afternoon.

As for scrambles, the one obvious thing is Eagle Lake Buttress. mountainproject.com/v/eagle…
There's several ways to gain the ridge, from 3rd-ish to maybe 5.9, with a couple easier 5th options. Once on the ridge it's mostly very easy going: some walking with maybe some 3rd/4th bits, although you can take harder variations in a lot of places. The approach isn't exactly short, but it can be done in an hour and is very pleasant/scenic.

Also there are some low to mid 5th routes on Hogsback at Lovers Leap.

Usually when I'm solo I head to 90 foot or bottle creek for easy access TR soloing. Or grab my dinky bouldering pad and do an easy lowball circuit at Christmas Valley.

Welcome to the area!

Alyssa K · · South Lake Tahoe · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 46

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Definitely interested in getting out in the next week or so, so I'll message you and let's set something up.

Jay Bird · · Marin, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,136

Hey Alyssa - I soloed the Hurd-Goode traverse yesterday. Didn't find any shoes but that's not to say they are not there somewhere, I just didn't see them. Running along the ridge from Hurd to the next peak was freakin' fun!!

For a long day out summitpost.org/desolation-c…

or just cut to the best part if you want scrambling summitpost.org/pyramid-agas…

Kathy K · · SLT CA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 77

Hi Alyssa, looking for a climbing partner 9/22 or 9/23 in SLT. Would like to go to gangsta wall by echo lake. Hogsback or 90 ft would also be fine. Let's chat! KK 415 518-2991

Jessie Z · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Hi Alyssa! I am moving to the area at the end of the month and am very much looking forward to exploring. I am new to the world of outdoor climbing but I am hoping that the move here will help expand my experience. Thus far I have only played around The Pie Shop. Interested to hear about any cool places you find or if you want someone to explore with, let me know.

Jessie

Audren Tawaji · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Hey! I live in North Lake and am looking for more partners to climb multipitch moderates and crag harder stuff. Shoot me a text and we can get out there. 516 443 46nine1

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "New to South Lake Tahoe: looking for after-work…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started