Mountain Project Logo

moving to MD soon!

Original Post
sambo2591 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 60

Hi everyone. I'm going to be moving to Maryland soon and would like to start climbing as soon as I can when I get there. If anyone has any advice for good places to go or is looking for an extra guy to join a group I am interested in hearing about it. As of now I plan to start off going to a few gyms to feel it out and post on some bulletin boards for regular partners. I hope to hear back from you guys soon.

OldRag Rocks · · Rockville, MD · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 195

Hey man,

I've been climbing in MD for over 15 years - its not a great climbing area but you can make it work if you're willing to train in a gym and go outside on the weekends.

If you're in the DC area I'd recommend hitting up Earthtreks Rockville - its one of the best gyms in the country and definitely the place to meet other climbers. Generally its a pretty social place so you should be able to find partners pretty quick.

PATC MS and the local chapter of the AAC are pretty active and a good way to link into some of the local climbing community.

potomacmountainclub.org/

PATC-MS used to do a weekly session at Caderock (a local top roping area). If that's still running that may be a good place to start.

Best of luck.

Siobhan W · · San Diego · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 15

PATC_MS is indeed still doing the weekly Wednesday at Carderock, except for second Wednesday of the month as that's when the group's meetings are. It's a great group of people.

There's always the VA/MD/DC (or some other order) Climbers meetup group for finding more gym climbing groups. Both groups are easy to meet up with.

I don't know about outside the DC area, but I had great luck with San Diego's meetup group too.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

North Eastern States Partners
Post a Reply to "moving to MD soon!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started