Mountain Project Logo

Colorado Springs untouched climbing? Blodgett peak

Original Post
Josh Neuberger · · woodland park · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

I have been staring at the face at the top of what I believe is blodgett peak in Colorado Springs. Does anyone know about this area?
I know it would be a rough hike with gear to reach this face but looks worth it. Looking for information about the high summit

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

I'll ask Bob Robertson. He should know. I saw a bolted anchor on a boulder with a crack in Stanley Canyon. My guess is there is some development on Blodgett.

Daniel H Bryant · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 320

A little off topic, but while travelling north on I25 starting up monument hill, directly west appears to be a granite dome/slab back in a canyon (it may directly west of palmer lake area). I've only noticed it at certain times when the sun hits it just right.
Anyone know anything about it?

Gruff · · Littleton · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 20

I believe that dome you see is Scorpio Dome. You can see Monument from the Dome. It is accessed off of Rampart Range Road and hosts one of the best 5.10 cracks on the front range along with several other quality cracks and slabs.

JackRyan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 65

I'm pretty sure thats not Scorpio. I believe its a formation called "Cap Rock," I've always wanted to get back there some time. Looks promising. I don't think you would be able to see Scorpio from down in Monument/Palmer Lake.

Cap Rock photo found on Google Earth

Overhead from Google Earth.

Yesterday after work I hiked up to the Cap Rock area to check it out. It took me an hour to get from the parking area to the blank slab (mostly uphill hiking), there is a trail the whole way so fortunately no bushwhacking.

The path taken to reach the Cap Rock complex.

The complex is made up of 3 main areas, the cap rock massif to the west, a middle section, and a blank slab to the east. All of the rock is coarse pikes peak granite. The middle section didn't look like much was there (in terms of long clean lines), the blank slab has potential(if bolted), and the massif appears to have lines on the south/southwest face (I didn't check it out completely (started to run out of daylight)).

The main parts of the complex.

The whole area has a good feel to it, primitive camp sites along the trail near the creek. Boulders galore, especially OW type problems. Eventually I'll do a whole day follow up trip and determine if there is anything worth developing.

Looking at the middle section and cap rock massif from the blank slab.

JackRyan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 65

Awesome info! The approach doesn't sound bad at all. I've always wanted to get back in there, looking forward to hearing about your next trip. Hopefully I'll be able to get out there myself some time.

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

Daniel- did you hike up the closed road/trail that follows the creek ? I believe it's a watershed area sign at the start.

john strand wrote:Daniel- did you hike up the closed road/trail that follows the creek ? I believe it's a watershed area sign at the start.
I didn't see any signs. The photo in my previous post with the orange and blue lines, is the exact route I took. I followed the main road to just past the lower reservoir then went right on a developed foot trail which goes up and around the hill towards cap rock.
john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

OK,,where i was (just north) didn't have parking, looks like it ends up going the same way after aa bit though.

Jerod Mendolia · · Colorado Springs · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 40

The Rock on blodgett is somewhat fractured and is pretty adventurous. I have walked out to Cap Rock and there is definitely some cool lines that I would love to try.

Cap Rock

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

the rock you see from monument hill might be ice creek cave dome. there is a 4 pitch 12a up there.

there is a ton of rock back there, and a bunch of little valleys and ridges. some really good stuff, and some horrendous stuff as well....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Colorado Springs untouched climbing? Blodgett peak"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started