Mountain Project Logo

Crack bouldering and mini-trax opportunities on the east side

Original Post
Kevin Dale · · Denver · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 105

I'm a spoiled Bay area gym climber that has taken for granted having 15 or so great cracks of all sizes at Planet Granite for whenever I want to run laps to work on crack volume and endurance.

I now find myself on the east side. What would be the best replacement in the general area (incl. Tuolumne) that could be done solo - either boulder problems with nice landings, or crag routes with a walk around or other easy TR setup - for practicing cracks, particularly thin cracks?

Thanks in advance!

- Kevin

Sean Maher · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2014 · Points: 1,255

Climbed this fun handcrack the other day.
mountainproject.com/v/dare/…
It's a short boulder problem at the community college in Mammoth and provides some brief entertainment. I haven't come across too many cracks in my eastern sierra bouldering but I wasn't looking too hard. I also remember climbing a fun V1 crack on the Cube boulder at Tenaya Lake in Tuolumne.

For some sick, long crack climbing, check out Patricia Bowl!

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

You might wish to visit the Iris Crag in the Rock Creek, up from "TOM's PLACE"

3 or 4 really nice cracks, you can scramble to the top, really good anchors on top. This is where I take folks who are keen on learning how to place gear and do real leading. The cracks are good and eat up gear.

Its below "the Gong Show" .... Find Iris campground, park on the hwy. Face Gong Show (giant roof thing with OW going through it) look to your 3 o clock... nice shabby thing with cracks, off to your right. In full sun till about 2 pm... then cold shade.

Bring sunscreen.... have fun.

I can't find it on MP??!! (what do I know about the arrangement of places on MP, it baffles me)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Guy Keesee wrote:You might wish to visit the Iris Crag in the Rock Creek, I can't find it on MP??!! (what do I know about the arrangement of places on MP, it baffles me)
Here you go, Guy:

mountainproject.com/v/iris-…
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Crack bouldering and mini-trax opportunities on…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started