Mountain Project Logo

Anybody down for a Brooklyn screening of Brave New Wild 9/8?

Original Post
Alex Reinhard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 5

Hi New York peeps --

I’ve helped make a film called Brave New Wild that includes a slice of Gunks history — we have many East Coast climbers & Vulgarians in the film such as Elaine Matthews, Dick Williams, Burt Angrist, Rich Goldstone & Joe Kelsey. After 8 years, we have finally finished the film and are trying to put together a screening in Brooklyn on September 8th at the UA Court St 12 with a Q&A with the director & some climbers in the film afterwards.

You can check out a trailer for the movie here: vimeo.com/156127253

In order for the screening to happen we need 56 more RSVPs in the next 8 days. You can get more details on the screening & RSVP at Tugg: tugg.com/events/brave-new-w…

Any help getting the word out or if you have some leads on people we can reach out to, I would be eternally thankful. Thanks for letting me plug this screening & if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message!

- Alex

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

Can we camp in Prospect Park after? Forgive me, and I love the trailer, but looks like Valley Uprising a bit, which I also love. I'll probably be there if this gets pulled off. I can say another three will join ... That's assuming the park is open for camping and the Rastas can share the herb!

Any chance making it other than first week of school opening in NY and Thursday's are tough for peeps update and on the island. Just saying! We would be there.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I'm not a New York "peep," but the trailer looks good!

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781

I think it looks great. Just the promo definitely had me smiling. Too bad I will be in Yosemite on the 8th. Let me know if you get close to the 56 and need a ticket sale or 2 to top you over. I would be willing to buy a ticket even if I can't go just to have more of this sort of thing in the northeast.

Way to rub in in Alicia! "I'll be in Yosemite!"

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781
keithconn wrote:Way to rub in in Alicia! "I'll be in Yosemite!"
Always room for one more, Keith! :)

Let me check with my job, wife, and kids and I'll get back to you! Haha! Have fun!!

Hi guys thanks for the compliments about the trailer!

Keithconn- Ha we might be camping in Prospect Park after -- actually coming in from Arizona and looking to bivy somewhere! In terms of Valley Uprising -- there are definitely some crossover stories such as Royal & Warren and the 1970 Dawn Wall ascent -- but there are many aspects that are different -- such as the evolution of climbing in New York, specifically the Gunks and also the Climber's Camp in the Tetons. Also much of the film revolves around the director's father who became a fruit tramp to climb in the 70s. So we filmed a lot of footage in Washington and the Red Rocks. Through Tugg we need to hit our RSVPs for this screening by Aug 31st -- otherwise it won't happen, so if you think you want to come it would be awesome to get tickets sooner than later-- but I definitely know the first week of school is difficult -- already have some friends saying it's just a busy time! Still trying to make it happen though :)

Alicia -- Thanks! Yosemite woo! Will definitely keep you updated on how things are going in the coming week. I think if we pull it off it will be a great screening. I know Joe Fitschen, who is in the film, said he would be coming from the Bronx and trying to get some other "peeps" from the film to come!

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616

Trailer looks great. I'm nowhere near the city but will hopefully see it at an artsie theater or on Netflix/Amazon Prime someday. :)

RichBeBe · · New York City, NY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1

I'm a teacher and that is the first day of school, but I'll likely buy a ticket. I knew Prospect Park was a joke but there is actual camping in Brooklyn at Floyd Bennet Field nps.gov/gate/planyourvisit/…
Tough time for me to entertain, but PM me bivvy info. His many? Hour long? And I can post on a few NYC area climbing pages in FB.
Currently milking the end of my summer in The Needles of South Dakota.

easyrider · · New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 5

Would love to see this film. Is it the same as this?
youtube.com/watch?v=GsJqqEe…

Easyrider - This is actually a different film we also made. It has a totally different cast of characters more 70s centric (Henry Barber, John Bachar, Lynn Hill, Steve Wunsch, and many more cool cats) and is 28 minutes long short film-- we actually call it the companion film to Brave New Wild. We made it confusing AF by calling it Wild New Brave -- but thought it was a good idea at the time by making it a riff of Brave New Wild, which is a riff of Brave New World -- kind of like naming of FAs.

RichBeBe - Thanks for the Floyd Bennet Field tip! Sent you a PM yesterday.

I'm sorry, but is this film only 28 min long? Just want to be clear before making plans.

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
keithconn wrote:I'm sorry, but is this film only 28 min long? Just want to be clear before making plans.
No, they were referring to the other film about the '70s climbing scene.

That is not clear at all. Just want to make sure. I can only drink one and a half g&t's in that time. I'll need more than that.

Keithconn- Yeah sorry confusing. The film "Brave New Wild" playing on September 8th is 76 minutes long -- focuses more on the 50s/60s generation (Royal, Warren, Vulgarians, John Gill, director's dad story and more). So by my calculations, you should be able to drink 4 gin & tonics. The film that is 28 minutes called "Wild New Brave" -- 70s peeps -- is not showing on the 8th. Hopefully that makes sense hah!

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Is Wild New Brave (the short film) going to be available on iTunes or anywhere else?

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

I'm gonna try to make it!

easyrider · · New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 5
Alex Reinhard wrote:Easyrider - This is actually a different film we also made. It has a totally different cast of characters more 70s centric (Henry Barber, John Bachar, Lynn Hill, Steve Wunsch, and many more cool cats) and is 28 minutes long short film-- we actually call it the companion film to Brave New Wild. We made it confusing AF by calling it Wild New Brave -- but thought it was a good idea at the time by making it a riff of Brave New Wild, which is a riff of Brave New World -- kind of like naming of FAs. RichBeBe - Thanks for the Floyd Bennet Field tip! Sent you a PM yesterday.
Thanks, Alex. Where can I watch the shorter film Wild New Brave? Thanks.

Mark & easyrider -- We are planning right now to release the short film for free somewhere online by the end of the year. Be on the lookout - will let you all know!

rgold- Fantastic - just sent you an email. FYI rgold is in BRAVE NEW WILD. See him in the film on September 8th! Thanks everyone for the positive words -- only 27 more tix left with 3 days left. Thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Anybody down for a Brooklyn screening of Brave…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started