Mountain Project Logo

Climbing at City of Rocks/Castle Rocks in October

Original Post
Slogger · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 80

Is this still considered within the climbing season? I'll be heading down to Boise for a vacay in the beginning of October and want to spend some time climbing. I don't mind a little bit cooler weather, rather I prefer it.

Also, availability of partners? Depending on the area I generally lead anywhere from 10b's to 11a's sport with 10a usually being my trad limit. I'll bring all my own gear so I'm game to lead or follow.

Chris123 · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Unless the weather forecast looks really terrible I plan to spend a few weeks out there at the beginning of October. From what I understand end of September / beginning of October is just on the cusp of when the season changes, so its a bit of a crapshoot on the weather (but if the weather is good, its PERFECT climbing temps - high 50s and 60s).

I don't think I'm quite as strong as you but I would be down to climb - I also have all my own gear. Let me know if you'd like to meet up!

I'll stay in touch!

Tombo · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 410

Holy Cow should be bliss! I was there last year in early October and there was a second fly hatch, not a big deal while climbing but not fun sittin around drinking beer in evening. Hopefully they'll have a freeze earlier this year.

Bought my ticket for October 2nd, will be in Boise for ~10 days. Would love to get down to the City for 2-3 days while I'm there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Climbing at City of Rocks/Castle Rocks in October"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started