Mountain Project Logo

Moving to AK???? We'll see

Original Post
Danomcq · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 95

So I'm getting out of the navy soon and not likely staying in Connecticut after I finish school. I'd like to live somewhere with good skiing and climbing. Ideally short-ish commute to major hospitals for the wife, she's an RN. We'd like to not be actually in a city, we'd like to have a bit of land. Of course we're concerned about affordability. . All that being said, I know compromises will happen, those are ideals. Thoughts on possible locations???? We're thinking the matsu valley would be good, she's been talking to hospitals up there and there's no shortage jobs for her
Thinkin 1-2 years out
Thoughts ? Reccomendations??

Clint Helander · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 612

MatSu is good if you want more space and land options out of a major city. I (and MANY people) think Wasilla is an absolute cesspool of box stores, poor urban planning and meth heads. It is also flat as a board.

Palmer, which is a quaint little town just west of Wasilla is much nicer. It is equi-distant to great skiing, hiking, climbing and boating in Hatcher Pass. It also has more class than Wasilla and a more "small town feel" as opposed to an "everywhere USA" feel that wafts out of Wasilla.

If you can afford it, Girdwood is really nice, too. Your wife would have to commute to work in Anchorage, but it isn't a big city at all. It's also at the foot of Alyeska, a good skiing area.

Good luck!

I've heard the easily thing over and over, Walmart n such. We're def thinking Palmer at the moment but open to suggestions

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 95

Alaska's road system is a little short on "good" rock climbing if you ask me. There is a lot of development going on, but I don't think it will ever be a destination rock climbing area. Ice on the other hand...

Pretty much anywhere you live near Anchorage you won't be more than 30 minutes from backcountry skiing. If you want resort skiing it could be a 2+ hour drive depending on where you live.

I just moved up to the Mat-Su Valley a couple weeks ago. We are currently renting in Wasilla, but looking to buy in Palmer or Chugiak due to agreeing with Clint. We'd love to buy in Eagle River, but just can't afford it. There are plenty of houses/property for sale up Fishhook Road outside of Palmer right now. You just have to decide if you want to live closer to town or the BC skiing.

Anyone else??

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 95

If your requirements are close to hospitals AND rock climbing then Anchorage/Mat-Su area is your only choice. If you're willing to travel for climbing then that opens up a lot of options.

Fairbanks is the only other major hospital in the state and they are even limited in their capabilities with a couple small crags around town to keep you entertained. Kodiak, Juneau, and several other places have smaller hospitals, but the climbing is greatly limited, but doable if you are willing to travel (long trips w/ airfare) to do it.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Weren't you moving to CO?

Ericsplosion II · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 246

In Palmer now, and it's gorgeous! That said I've see no local rock worth moving here for. Alpine ascents, glacier, and skiing for days though!

Yesterday at Matanuska Glacier

L. Von Dommelheimer · · Anchorage · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 2,835

Palmer is where I would live if I wanted to commute. Mat Su Regional has been advertising for RN positions...

Hathcer Pass (In Palmer) is the best on the road climbing in Alaska by a long shot bouldering there is supposedly pretty good and up there with other classic areas, but I don't don't have anything to compare to, it's got a lot of fun trad climbing. Sport climbing is about 30-40 minutes away in Chickaloon area. It also is excellent skiing.

Anchorage does offer a nice middle ground, 45 minutes from Hatcher, an hour from Turnagain pass skiing.

Mediocre, I'm considering a few places, ice climbing and skiing is a must, rock? Ehhh take it or leave. I love winter, hate summer

JalenMC · · Subaru Outback · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 40

Maybe consider Eagle River. Its beautiful, between Anchorage and the valley, and has some nice peaks to climb in the vicinity. Also, there are a few crags and some boulders out behind the nature center.

Eagle river isn't out of the running but it's pricy that's for sure

It's a go,.... Moving to Palmer. Recommendations for a realtor??

Simon W · · Nowhere Land · Joined May 2013 · Points: 55
Danomcq wrote:It's a go,.... Moving to Palmer. Recommendations for a realtor??
Whaaaat maaaaaaaaaannn? Not Girdwood?? *cough*cough*hack* bummer bro.... ;(
Madirock · · NW Arkansas · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

Def check out Valdez. In the summer, the hwy out to it reminds me of the opening credits of Jurissic Park with all the waterfalls. You'll have to get into ice cimbing... The winters are long ;P I think there's one or two indoor climbing gyms in ANC... Never went to em though so I can't tell you if they're any good.

JalenMC · · Subaru Outback · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 40

There is a small rock gym in Wasilla called "Rock On Climbing." Its not too bad, but there isn't a ton of wall to climb, both for bouldering or top roping/leading. The Alaska Rock Gym (the gym in Anchorage) just moved to a brand new facility which is, in my opinion, fantastic. the rope walls are pretty tall for a rock gym (that I've seen) and the 2nd floor is devoted entirely to bouldering. Its also walking distance from Mooses Tooth, which has some of the best pizza you will ever eat, as well as tons of great beers. The new gym is also in a pretty easy area to town to access, seeing as how 3 of Anchorages bigger roads all go right by it.

Slogger · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 80

Here's another vote for how fantastic the new Alaska Rock Gym is. Better than the gyms I've been to in SLC and SoCal IMO.

Madirock · · NW Arkansas · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
JalenMC wrote:Its also walking distance from Mooses Tooth, which has some of the best pizza you will ever eat, as well as tons of great beers.
No exaggeration here... I have yet to find any pizza better than Mooses Tooth... Several years and several states later. It is upsetting D: I cant describe how good it is...well... It's busy on a Tuesday at 3pm. THAT good!
Jim Schloemer · · North Bend, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 326
Madirock wrote: No exaggeration here... I have yet to find any pizza better than Mooses Tooth... Several years and several states later. It is upsetting D: I cant describe how good it is...well... It's busy on a Tuesday at 3pm. THAT good!
PFFFT Fat olives in Homer is damn good. Not quite the same vibe though.

On another note, anywhere near Hatchers pass could be good if you think Trad is rad
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Moving to AK???? We'll see"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started