Mountain Project Logo

Climbing around an 8-5 Job

Original Post
Daniel Rickert · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 471

I am sure this topic has been discussed before, but I could not find anything.

I am live/work in Dallas doing an 8-5 office job. In order to get outside I have to drive minimum 3 hours. This means that weekday climbing is totally out of the question. I have climbed at Eldo and CCC before and have loved it. I am tentatively thinking about making a move to Denver for better climbing access.

My question is, are you able to climb on weekdays while holding down an 8-5 type office job? Is it possible to wake up at 5 am knock out a few pitches at Eldo and get back to downtown Denver by 8? I imagine it is, but wanted to hear from the MP community. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Daniel

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Salt Lake City is where you want to be if you want to climb during the week. 20 minute drive to the entrance of LCC, BCC, AFC, among others. I climb after work all the time.

Climbing before work in the front range is unlikely.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

It'll be based around where you live and work.

If you manage a job and house in Golden or even Arvada, no problem getting out at a 5 for a few afterwork sessions in the summer.

If (more likely) you live in Littleton or further east and work at the tech center or downtown, no, you can't climb after work. The traffic is bad and getting worse. A drive from the tech center to Morrison or Clear Creek during that time will take well over an hour. You'll do like 2 routes and it'll be dark. Some people think it's worth it, I don't.

The good news is there are lots of gyms in the area and more are coming.

Also, word to the wise. When you're looking for a place to live, make sure that it has a parking spot. If you have street parking, you will not want to move after getting home from work. If you get home after 6, you'll be several blocks from your place. Sounds crazy but the parking actually turns a lot of Cap Hill people into homebodies.

All that said, you'll still have weekends, more rock, and loads of partners. Almost nothing on the front range is world class but very little of it is just bad.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

^^^^^ This is all really good advice. Especially the part about where you live, and about traffic. The further west your house and job are, the more often you will get to climb after work.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

If you work downtown Denver and plan right you can get a few pitches in the morning or after work during the summer. Realistically the only way to do this at a place with half decent rock is CCC (the further you go up the harder it is, little eiger is pretty great for this). The sun is up about 5:45-6 in the summer so if you get out there by 5:30 you can be roped up and ready to roll (this means an early morning though) and climb for about an hour - hour and a half. Then race down to your office (hopefully they have showers there) by 8. After work you have sun until about 9 ish. About an hour to CCC from downtown with traffic so you can climb from 6-9 pretty decently.

Honestly though a flexible schedule is the best way to go. Get out of work at 3, go in at 10, something like that. Work a 9-80 schedule or some variant.

Be ready to climb in the gym, I hear movement is really good and super not crowded ;).

Another great thing is DIA usually has great flights to a lot of awesome places to climb (Dallas might be OK too I don't know).

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

The answer to all of your needs is...

Remote work. Home-based.

Live 5 minutes from your favorite crag, even if out in the middle of nowhere. Just have internet access! You also save time with no commute. Lots and lots of climbing possible.

Marc Reich · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 20

I've lucked out and live/work in Boulder and have a little flexibility in my schedule. When it's sunny late (summer), climbing after work in eldo or bocan is easy. I haven't climbed before work but know people who have (run up a flatiron or something else short). I have managed to get a few dawn patrol ski days in, but typically get to work around 10 then. Denver is a bit harder with the commute tho possible but golden also offers some local before/after work climbing options. Either way, climbing on the weekend is plentiful. I used to live in the northeast, and while people like to complain about the crowds growing here, it's still nothing compared to the hordes at rumney or the gunks on a nice weekend.

trice Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

If you live/work in boulder you can climb m-f before or after work. Boulder canyon is a 5 minute drive. Flatirons are a 5 minute drive. eldo is a better after work location than before work in my experience.

If you enjoy scrambling on the east faces of the flatirons there are hundreds of routes and they make for amazing pre-work runs/climbs.

Denver is not nearly as good of a pre/post work climbing city as Boulder is. Boulder has to be one of the best locations in the US for cubicle crimp jockies.

Stefan Griebel · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 330

Climb in Eldo. Scramble in the Flatirons. Before Work. All summer long.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35
trice wrote:If you live/work in boulder you can climb m-f before or after work. Boulder canyon is a 5 minute drive. Flatirons are a 5 minute drive. eldo is a better after work location than before work in my experience. If you enjoy scrambling on the east faces of the flatirons there are hundreds of routes and they make for amazing pre-work runs/climbs. Denver is not nearly as good of a pre/post work climbing city as Boulder is. Boulder has to be one of the best locations in the US for cubicle crimp jockies.
With an average home price at just under $1,000,000 this seems reasonable.
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote: With an average home price at just under $1,000,000 this seems reasonable.
The Texas to Colorado cost of living difference is usually quite a eye popper for most people.
Nick Blankenberger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 35

I live 10 min from Eldo and love getting out there on week nights. I work an 7:30-4 job and had enough time to climb 4 pitches last night. Granted it was a walk off in the dark but a good time all the same. I'm originally from IN and the cost of living hasn't been difficult to adjust to. Other than rent/mortgage... You could have a mortgage on a 450k home for the same price as the average rent.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

Parker,

What, you mean you didn't live around the corner from George Bush like the rest of us? :D

Tradgic Yogurt wrote:Parker, What, you mean you didn't live around the corner from George Bush like the rest of us? :D
Ha, I came from Michigan (my brother lives in Denton these days though). Even 5 years ago is was a pretty big difference, the same basic apartment was $750 in Michigan and $1150 in Denver.
trice Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote: With an average home price at just under $1,000,000 this seems reasonable.
You can find cheapish rent if you look around for a bit. It helps to be a single guy who is willing to live in a shit hole apartment, but it is available.
Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121

Unless you are in Boulder or maybe Golden, don't expect a bunch of afterwork cragging.

Tony Davis · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 155

I lived in Drake, outside of Estes Park for 12 years (wonderful climbing at Combat Rock and Monastery), and commuted to Fort Collins. We were evacuated during the 2013 floods and have been trying different areas ever since.

We are now in Golden and really like it. Rock climbing is very close up Clear Creek canyon and Table MT., Ice climbing is 10 minutes up the canyon and kayaking is right downtown. I don't mountain bike but it is also very popular for that. Multiple canyon roads nearby with hiking trails.

I work in Lakewood, 20 minutes to work and have half days off on Fridays, so a decent schedule.

Downside...Golden is stupid expensive to rent or buy, Golden is rapidly becoming a Boulder, so not sure how long we will be there. Western Arvada is also close to Golden and less expensive, the Green Mountain area in Lakewood is nice, close to the freeways for work or play.

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175

Quit your job. Live in a van. Climb everyday. Life is short.

skye bacus · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 125

I live in Denver and work in Littleton. I have gone on before and after work climbing adventures a handful of times. But that's usually committing at least 1 hour travel there and back. And then I get carbon footprint guilt about my climbing habits. Living / working in Golden or Boulder would be better. I saw some really small, shithole apartments in Golden for $1300 for a 1 bedroom. You should probably move sooner rather than later. Housing costs rose 7.6% this year already. :)

Marc Reich · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 20

Rent is almost reasonable in Boulder if you live with 2-4 other people. There's some of that around south Boulder and Martin Acres. Bonus, its easier to coordinate climbing plans with them.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Climbing around an 8-5 Job"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.