Mountain Project Logo

Value of old gear

LucaJ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 235

Found some more gear, pictures attached. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Would be curious if there are any gems in the mix. Personally the old carabiners feel special to me.

Gunks Jesse · · Shawangunk Township, NY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 111

The Wart Hog ice piton is a good find. Value between $35-$50. The glacier goggles are super cool. Don't have a good pulse on those, but would hazard a $60 -$100 range in value depending on condition and brand. Of the pitons, one of the lost arrows looks to have a rounded end on it. That may bring closer to $20 if it is a Chouinard of older stock. The Leeper Z-pitons are worth about $7/ea, the angles about the same. The carabiners look cool, but I don't have a value u less they are Chouinard.

The crampons are probably salewa or Chouinard salewa. Figure $40 on those unless you get two guys who both want them. Then they could go higher. The hammer approximately $75. The salewa ice screws you probably won't be able to even give away. Old gear is so much fun!

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

The round nut on the sling with the ice screws and warthog is a Peck Cracker. The notched Chouinard piton is a Super Long Dong. The original nut tool.

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,978

Hang on to this stuff. Wait for the $ a few decades off.

Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 650
Russ Keane wrote:"Why bother chiming in" I don't know, why not? If we were all in a room together, and this person pulled out this gear and asked the same question, I would offer my opinion just the same.
I appreciate your willingness to share, but I think most people looking for advice on MP are hoping to get a response from someone who actually knows the answer to their question. It's ok to not know something. I didn't know the value of the gear either. I think it makes the most sense to let those that do know answer.

Russ Keane wrote: Isn't someone's perceived notion of value going to be based on a collective consensus?
Your notion of value didn't seem to be based on consensus, but rather your own interest. So I would say not necessarily. I will however posit that an item's actual monetary value is determined by those persons willing to spend money for the item, not those that aren't. So you saying the gear has no value does nothing to affect the value. And to bring it back to your question, you saying the gear has no value seems like a reflection of the fact that you aren't willing to spend money on such items, rather than representing any sort of consensus.
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
LucaJ wrote:Was hoping someone could help me with some gear I have. Pictures posted below, I can post more if it helps. Looking to get a general idea of whether anything is of value or if it's more of a sentimental value type thing.
Did you raid my basement when I wasn't looking?

Found some more gear, looks like a mix of aid and crack gear. Again, any help identifying specific pieces from the experts would be appreciated.
Thanks
eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
LucaJ wrote: Found some more gear, looks like a mix of aid and crack gear. Again, any help identifying specific pieces from the experts would be appreciated. Thanks
in the top picture the hexes may be worth something if they're chouinard and the red thing like a modern microcender. Not sure about the other thing, though, kinda curious

in the second picture it looks like a couple angles and some bongs. My guess is that the bongs may be worth something for historical value. the 3rd picture looks like more pins, two hooks resembling BD's talon hook, an Chouinard Crack'N'up (valuable and really useful awesome piece), an old fifi and an old sticht plate.

The next picture looks like something similar to the old slider nuts or maybe even an earlier version of ballnuts. I'm not quite sure, although i'm quite curious. You could probably ask the guy who does the nut museum as to what it is. I'm sure he'd also be very interested in them

In the last picture the belay device looks similar to the trango pyramid. The hex looks like probably a chouinard hexcentric and the chock next to looks like a large SMC camlock. I'm not quite sure about the biner but the shape looks similar to that of an ice clipper so maybe that's it.
Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
eli poss wrote: The next picture looks like something similar to the old slider nuts or maybe even an earlier version of ballnuts. I'm not quite sure, although i'm quite curious. You could probably ask the guy who does the nut museum as to what it is. I'm sure he'd also be very interested in them
Rock N Rollers.

Bottom pic belay device looks like a Lowe Tuber. Hated those things. Wore through the center bar on mine and it became super sharp and not great for the rope. Funky shaped kidney bean looking carabiner looks like a Marwa. European.

Top pic descender on upper right looks like a P. Allain or Habeler. I'll take that one!
Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

Oops....top pic upper left...60's vintage rappel device I think. I'm interested in that one.

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
Brian in SLC wrote:Oops....top pic upper left...60's vintage rappel device I think. I'm interested in that one.
The 'raw color' 'y' clamp-like device, is an Ascender, (not a rap device).
( Swiss? Russian ? Or Czech?, I'm not going to look it up )
It is a 'Rope clamp', very effective, & still used!
Based on a one pin design, you can check it for wear, if the 'scissor' area is shinny &
not 'pitted' or burr'd, with smooth action, it is still used able,
A toothless Clamp that won't shred the cord. It is also very versatile it can be set up
for hauling, & can use different diameters of cord.(as thin as 5ml!, if it closes all the way )

The 'funky' 'biener, that's a steel thing, and from the looks of it not used after the 50s when everyone ditched the heavy stuff for aluminum.

Calling for.Marty supertopo.com/climbing/thre… or~ Roots ~hey where is the Maven of gear?

Not that I have any extra coin, but where will theses be For sale?

Yes the Rock n Rollers
The red chunk of aluminum next to the Ascender is a late 90s Soloist...EDIT. . . . .NOT! The soloist
how could I have missed the size & shape!? I stand corrected!
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Michael Schneider wrote: The red chunk of aluminum next to the Ascender is a late 90s Soloist..
Not a Soloist. Looks like a Wren Rescuscender or Microscender. Not of collectable age, and def. useful as a self belay device for toprope solo.
Gunks Jesse · · Shawangunk Township, NY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 111

The raw color ascender in the top photo is a Salewa Hiebler ascender. It was developed as a rope grab for ice climbing that would be impervious to the rope icing up. It was originally thought up in the early 1960s. Value on the Hiebler is right about whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I had two of the original model I sold for about $75/each a couple years ago. The bongs are worth around $20/each, the drilled hex could go way higher (think $100) if it is the biggest size and has the right makers mark in the right place. If the stars don't align on the hex, as in wrong maker, or right maker with mark in wrong place, or not the biggest size, or right maker, right mark location, but somebody took a regular Chouinard hex and used their patterns to lighten their own, then think around $10. Unfortunately it looks to me like a size 8.

The wren is probably worth about $45.

Awesome, thanks to everyone for the replies. I am getting addicted to collecting and learning about gear and so will probably just hang on to it for now. That said if someone is really interested in something feel free to send me a PM. I am located in the Rockies, Canada and so that may complicate things slightly. Just a heads up. Hope to find some more gear and post more pictures soon!

Found some more gear. Again, just curious whether there are any diamonds in the rough. Thanks in advance!

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Old hammers tend to be some of the more valuable pieces, like 70 to a few hundred depending on the rarity. The 1st Gen Camalot may be worth something as well. The slider nuts and the ascender Salewa ascender look like relatively rare pieces, although I'm not sure if they're actually worth anything.

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

I'm sure the Mavens of gear
Marty & Roots' are lurking and laughing.
This thread has all the Dolt gear that has unreasonably high price tags.
It would be nice if the orphan daughter of Dolt, could
Have some things to pass down to he daughter.

Yup, I would have guessed that you had a pair of the ascenders. Play around with them with to you can set up a haul system. Used in line one above the over they climb the rope well.

I'm not sure, but the original friends look to have been re-slung, with very beefy webbing.
It looks almost new. The constriction by the hole always worried me, but I was told it did not
Reduce the strength. I would pull mine to keep from have 'work' focused on just the one spot.

All the gear looks very well cared for, and is still serviceable. As for the nuts? Still good to climb on ?
Ymmv.
Is one a signal wire? Is it a steel nut? The Small blue nut is not as strong but it was the sort of thing that older but very high end climbers valued highly, Simond out of France mighty be a mark?
The curved nuts 'Gem stones', again it tells a lot about the original owner, they were thin pro for hi-end
Climbs.

The 1st gen Camalot, with the three pice trigger stiffening frame was a pain it often 'opened';
The top cross piece would come apart from the side dowls / tubes.
I don't think it is worth much, ymmv.

The 1st gen. Friends with the machine nuts on the axels may have collectable value,
There is nothing wrong with them many of that vintage are still in use.

Just because it is older than you are, does not make it obsolete, the ridged stem Friends are very light weight.

As for Diamonds? The long Axe? Piolet may be worth some coin ?
The smallest ridged Friend. Is a a1/2 and has what looks like the Titanium stem.

Your ladders, the handles! they look hand made! Oh man ! Those Riggs if they could talk. Do they show ware at the hook ends?
( anyone care to comment? Are they from the 1950s?, the use of a 'larks head' instead of the
Preferd clove hitch? It may just show a thorough knowledge of climbing)

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
LucaJ wrote: Found some more gear. Again, just curious whether there are any diamonds in the rough. Thanks in advance!
That pecker is actually a Black Diamond (descended directly from chouinard). BD used the diamond C logo for years, often, but not always with the BD USA stamped by like on the pecker.
Caz Drach · · C'Wood, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310
Joe De Luca wrote:How about this one a chouinard lost arrow singed by royal Robbins
thats pretty sick...nice piece
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Michael Schneider wrote:I'm not sure, but the original friends look to have been re-slung, with very beefy webbing. It looks almost new.
The original Friends cannot be "re-slung" because the originals were sold bare, without any sling or webbing.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Value of old gear"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started