Mountain Project Logo

BD Creek packs/ Mtn. Hardwear splitter

Original Post
Jack Stephenson · · Dadeville, AL · Joined May 2016 · Points: 25

Been researching crag packs for a while now. Looking at BD, Trango, the Patagonia crag daddy and others. Any comments or buying advice on these or others would be appreciated.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I really like this burly, 41 liter pack:

metoliusclimbing.com/freeri…

Billy Malone · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 10

+1 for the freerider, and Metolius is a good company to support.

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140

Definitely like Metolius. Not a huge fan of top loaders for the crag. Especially if you wanna put a rope in rope bag inside the pack. Just my opinion tho. Thanks for letting me share

Looks sweet, but I'll second the top loade dislike. The Creek being the exception as it also zips down the body of the pack.

Keep em coming, folks. Also, price isn't a huge issue as I can get a decent deal from most companies.

Thanks

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

If you don't like top loaders, what about:

metoliusclimbing.com/crag_s…

If anyone has one of these, I'm curious about this pack and would like to know of real world experiences.

Capacity: 2,500 cu. in. (41 L)
Weight: 2 lbs. 10 oz. (1.2 kg)
Dimensions: 28" x 13" x 10" (711 mm x 330 mm x 254 mm)
Color: tan/black

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Why don't people like top-loaders? Nothing wrong with having a preference, but I'm curious if people find the top-loaders too hard to pack, or...?

FrankPS wrote:Why don't people like top-loaders? Nothing wrong with having a preference, but I'm curious if people find the top-loaders too hard to pack, or...?
The one little thing I need is always at the bottom of the pack. It's all personal preference, really
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35
Marc801 wrote:If you don't like top loaders, what about: metoliusclimbing.com/crag_s… If anyone has one of these, I'm curious about this pack and would like to know of real world experiences. Capacity: 2,500 cu. in. (41 L) Weight: 2 lbs. 10 oz. (1.2 kg) Dimensions: 28" x 13" x 10" (711 mm x 330 mm x 254 mm) Color: tan/black
I went to buy one about 5 years ago and they were all sold out. I got the BD version instead, the Demon Duffel (replaced with Stone 42) and it was cheaper. Same size though. The zipper it blown and there are multiple holes in it. It's a goner. I wish I'd held off and got the Metolius.

I can fit an entire sport day in there plus clothes, food, and dog things. Or I can fit an entire creek day in there minus offwidth plus the tagline and my partner has to carry the rope and food.

Overall, I'm totally satisfied with the size. When I replace it, I'll get the metolius, the BD one is just too flimsy.

You just have to learn how to pack it. Fill it half way, then zip it 3/4, then bang it against the ground and continue filling the space on top. It's amazing at how much you can fit in there. I also like to open it all the way and lay it out and the dog will sleep there.
Chase D · · CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 195

Arcteryx Miura 45 is nice

Chase D wrote:Arcteryx Miura 45 is nice
Sell the Miura to me.
Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180
Chase D wrote:Arcteryx Miura 45 is nice
The Miura 50 is 1000% better.
Royal · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 410

I have a freerider. I'd totally trade it for a BD creek. I like it, it just isn't as refined.

Jeremy K · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0
Ray Pinpillage wrote: The Miura 50 is 1000% better.
I used a Miura 50 for maybe 10 years but finally replaced it with a Creek 50. No regrets. Partially it is the design of the front "pouch" (much more functional when full than the pockets on the Miura), partially the extra space makes it much easier to pack. It is a bit apples to oranges though since the Creek 50 is much bigger than the Miura 50.

Zippers and fabric on the Creek series are much more durable than the old Demon series.
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
FrankPS wrote:Why don't people like top-loaders? Nothing wrong with having a preference, but I'm curious if people find the top-loaders too hard to pack, or...?
Like Jack said, the thing I'm looking for is almost always at the bottom or at least under several somethings. Packing them can also be like hearding cats - especially when you want to do it fast (eg: getting away from a thunderstorm at 10.5K', like the other day in the Uintas).

I've always had top loaders and have wondered about the new side/duffel designs, hence my question about the Metolious Crag pack.
Doug Argyle · · Green Mountain Falls, CO · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 576

I have a Patagonia Cragdaddy and for the most part I love it. I regularly schlep a full rack, a 70m rope in a rope bag, 2 harnesses, 2 pairs of shoes and a helmet around in it. The front full zip makes packing and unpacking easy, and it's great when you are moving from one route to another.

While it shines on cragging days, it's not the greatest as a seconder's pack on multi-pitch up-and-over excursions as it easily gets in the way while climbing. On days like that I wish I had a more traditional and streamlined alpine-type gear-hauler.

The bulk of the construction is very durable, with the exception of the soft fabric on the back panel. Since this is a duffel style pack the back side is frequently in contact with the ground. Combined with a nicely padded suspension, the soft stuff makes for a comfy carry but it isn't holding up well.

caughtinside wrote:Another partner has the MH splitter. It looks cool and flops open....
This is a serious contender for me, I really like the compression flap holds the heavy stuff to your back. Do the compression straps not help with the sag caused by the depth of the pack? Also, can you comment on the suspension/hip bet/ overall padding and hiking comfort?
I'm one of those weirdos who likes long (not too long) approaches.
ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55

I've been using the Camp Rox pack for a couple of years and would give it 4/5 *.

camp-usa.com/products/packs…

It holds a lot and splits completely open, but there isn't much organization on the inside, just a zippered pocket at the top for a chalk bag, and some beefy loops for gear...it's great if you're just flaking in the rope and racking quickdraws, but if you are trad climbing you need to use stuff sacks to keep things organized.

There are mesh outer pockets for shoes/water, and a small outer slash pocket (zippered) that can hold a couple of bars and your keys/wallet. Rope management straps across the top and daisy chain loops down the front.

It's wider and heavier (abrasion resistant) than most packs and doesn't have a hip belt, so it's really limited to cragging, but if that's what you need it for, it does that job well.

bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 3,065

Picked up a bd creek 20 ...

Just did some ropeless laps with it up and down at the crag

The thing climbs pretty well and feels burly enought for light hauling, especialy as the straps can come off or tuck away

Its a bit larger than a bullet pack for those days you want to carry a bit more but is much more durable than a light alpine pack

;)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "BD Creek packs/ Mtn. Hardwear splitter"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started