Mountain Project Logo

Hillary Step Gone?

Original Post
Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

The iconic step is reportedly no longer there after the quakes.

DesertRat · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 196

I saw this, pretty incredible.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

Link?

Patrick Deliman · · Bear valley CA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 150

Can't find anything saying it's gone but I did read that they set a route to the top for the first time in 2 years. They said it took a while to get up Hillary step because of snow and ice.

Lan Dogan · · Portland, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 10
bbc.com/news/world-asia-362…

BBC doesn't go in to details but cites "difficult climbing conditions".
DesertRat · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 196

According to recent summiters, the climbing is easier.

mobile.twitter.com/crpokhre…

m.facebook.com/story.php?st…

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Holy crap- That is a major bummer.

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847

Replaced by the Trump Tower

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966
Luke Majewski · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 5

If you look at the Russian page you can see that the zoom factor is different on those two shots from the tweet. Although it does look different, it does not appear to have collapsed.

From the translation of the Russian page. Although the third sentence seems to say "yes it did collapse" in the context of the remainder of the paragraph it really does appear like it's just snow.

"Every year falls a different number snow. Do not panic. Step Hilary collapsed during the earthquake. Just this year, she dusted with snow. You can compare the pictures. in fact, 2016 is not the only one, when Hillary Step sweeps snow so that some climbers perceive this fact as its collapse, but in fact the stage is still there ... hidden under a thick layer of snow, " to confirm his words, Simone is also a photograph of an analysis of boulders on the Hillary Steps (arrows indicate the same point):"

Paul Vervalin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 41

I know this thread is almost a year old, but I was poking around looking for pictures of the Hillary Step that were taken from the same location that Tim Mosedale took this year and I found one.  I overlaid them an made a little video.  I circled 3 prominent rock features to show the images are basically the same perspective.   What does everyone here think?  I think it's gone....    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Waj0RPdrk&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Hillary Step Gone?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started