Mountain Project Logo

Easy Top Ropes For A Non-Climber To Set Up Near Denver

Original Post
303scott · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 195

A non-climber's son (8) is excelling at climbing and dad wants to start setting up TRs outside in the Denver area. I will be instructing dad on systems etc. Any thoughts on where to go for kid-friendly TRs? Immediate thoughts are the far left side of Happy Hour, Supremacy Rock, and North Table Mountain, but would love to hear others. Routes in the 5.2-5.7 range are probably about right.
Thanks,
Scott

Tim N · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 71

Check out lookout mountain crag (accessed from lookout mountain road) located kinda above Canal Zone in CCC. Easy TR access, several nice slabs in the 5.5-5.7 range, and a couple more in the 5.8-5.10 range.

Richard Blumberg · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

Grocery Store wall in Castlewood Canyon.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

Is the dad is not a climber? You might want to find other climbers with kids on the Denver Social Climb page on facebook, setting up a TR might be non-trivial for him.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Scott, will you be with the dad when he sets up the toprope anchors? At least for his first couple of times?

Can't tell if by "instructing him," you mean in-situ at the climb or at home in a pseudo-classroom.

303scott · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 195

Thanks all, appreciate the suggestions. Definitely agree that climbing with other families would be a good step, and have suggested that. Regarding instruction, I teach this subject professionally (just not locally) so I am comfortable in my ability to ensure he learns what he needs to know.
Thanks again!
Scott

Bob Smith III · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 45

My go-to spot is the furthest left side of Elephant Buttresses in Boulder Canyon. You could build the anchor from a tree with a very long static rope, but the best option is to build a trad anchor.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Easy Top Ropes For A Non-Climber To Set Up Near…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.