Mountain Project Logo

resole for hiking shoes?

Original Post
Steve Marshall · · Concord NH · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

I have a pair of goretex hiking shoes kind of similar to approach shoes. anyways, the tread is getting really thin. They have vibram rubber soles and are a glue-on construction.

Do any shoe resoling companies do work on shoes like this? It seems like if you could just grind off the existing tread and glue on some climbing shoe rubber (or more vibram?) that they would be good to go!

anyone have experience with this?

I asked a "normal" cobbler but he told me because the soles are "glued on" that he can't replace them. But I don't want the soles replaced, just glue some more rubber on the bottom!

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 410

You might try Rocky Mountain Resole, they did a great job with my hiking boots. Mine needed completely new soles though, not just fresh rubber. You can ship the boots and turnaround time is pretty fast.

rmresole.com/

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Call some resolers or cobblers and ask. Tell them what you want to do.

David House · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 453

What is the brand and model of shoes? Rock n Resole will do Gandas, Scarpa Vitamins, etc.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Rmr can probably do it but they'll likely replace the foam too. Maybe that's a good thing.

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,825

I had rock and resole do this to a pair of old Asolo hiking boots and it worked really well. They replaced the forefoot area with 5.10 dot rubber after grinding down the original outsole. I would rather have sticky rubber with a low profile tread for places like RMNP where there is a lot of rock hopping or low angle slab scrambling, especially if it's wet. Having a solid over-the-ankle leather upper is a bonus compared to average approach shoes, especially in talus.

Steve Marshall · · Concord NH · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

they are asolo, kind of like this model but probably a little earlier, ive had them for 4 or 5 years. sierratradingpost.com/asolo…

i will give RMR a call, thanks all!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "resole for hiking shoes?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started