Mountain Project Logo

Kids Climbing in Albuquerque?

Original Post
Jenrehn · · Lubbock, TX · Joined May 2010 · Points: 0

Hi!
I just moved to the east mountain area of albuquerque.
I wanted to take my 4 year old climbing this summer and was wondering if anyone else took their kids, where is a good place to go, would you be willing to have company, etc?

I'm comfortable taking him by myself; however, I'm currently pregnant and I would need either a top approach or an easy/safe route where I could climb up a short distance and set up an anchor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I really want to get my son interested in climbing!
Jenny

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 15,153

It's about 90 minutes from ABQ but Las Conchas is a very popular summer climbing destination for families and big groups. I'd guess you could easily integrate with a group there on the weekend.
The (A) Cattle Call Wall Area in particular sees a lot of traffic with its ten-second approach and easier routes next to a grassy meadow. The Garden Wall at the Gateway wall has anchors accessible from a walk-around up the backside and is very popular.
That said, this area is also popular with newer climbers so if you do end up climbing with another group there, keep a close eye on safe climbing practices.

Thank you, Jason!

I remember climbing at cattle call wall years ago. We have been wanting to go camping at jemez so this would be a good fit. Thanks for the suggestion and the warning :)

Mark Dalen · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 1,002

The Ranger Station in Tijeras Canyon ... not listed on MP ... maybe there's a reason why ... ?

Thanks Docsavage!

I called the ranger station (505-281-3304) and spoke with Kerry. Here is what he told me:

--it's called "Ranger Rock"
--limestone
--boulder or top rope (no anchors but there are natural features to make an anchor - you can hike to the top)
--about 30ft tall
--park on the south side of the ranger station lot (by the gate). It's about a 5 minute hike in.

This is about 5 minutes from my house!! Hopefully I'll be able to go soon and report back a little more information. From what Kerry described, it sounds like this will be a great place for kids to practice!!

Jenny

Ty Harlacker · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 231

SACG! it's an awesome place, I think you have to be 7yo to be on the climbing team. But they have body harness's that little kids use and shoes! It's a great place for him to meet other kids too.

Hi Ty
My friend's kids are on the climbing team there and they just competed in regionals! I'd love to take my son, but I'm not working at the moment and money is tight. After I get back to work, I'm going to reconsider taking him to the gym. I hear they have a great community there.
Jenny

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Kids Climbing in Albuquerque?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.