Mountain Project Logo

Adjustable personal tether, releasable under load?

Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 55

the Metolius easy daisy I have used before wall climbing and liked it. I had an old Fish Adjustable daisy which also might work for your needs.

Keatan · · AZ · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 50

Yates adjustable daisy might fit your needs

windexxx · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 30

Perhaps an allfreefi (or some mod/concept of) will meet your needs?

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=2696848

Brocky · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Yes, I didn't think of that Mammut Smart ,Kong Gigi or CT Clickup or similar would work though more gear.

rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

Purcell Prusik. Make your own.

T340 · · Idaho · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 5

Em,
Dying of curiosity here. What's your specific use??

PaulMudd · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5
rging wrote:Purcell Prusik. Make your own.
What he said, my friends use theirs all the time. I dont like the complication.
Brocky · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

The Purcell doesn't get the climber as close as Em wants to get.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

It's not about sex swing rigging.
At least, it wasn't originally about sex swing rigging... now I'm distracted. What were we talking about?

Sorry guys, wasn't trying to be mysterious, just hoping to keep the conversation focused on the very specific and possibly imaginary piece of gear that I had in mind. Since I said in the first post that a purcell won't work and then it was suggested by several people, I can see that my efforts to keep the responses on track were in vain anyway.

OK so here's the situation - my normal procedure for a tyrolean traverse is to clip something long, like a sling or the last loop of a PAS, to the rope, to have some protection while I get into position and at the far end while climbing down. Then I clip something short, like a closer loop of a PAS or a quickdraw, which is my main attachment as I pull across.

Part of my work is with adaptive recreation, and I was considering ways that with simple modifications of gear or technique we could make a tyrolean traverse accessible to more people - folks with limited strength or mobility in one or both arms, for instance. One mod would be to use a progress-capture pulley rather than a carabiner to connect to the rope - it would reduce friction making pulling easier, and allow for resting without losing progress, or could be used with one arm without losing progress while moving your arm forward for the next pull. The specific problem I was thinking of with this post is how to balance keeping the climber as close to the rope as possible (making it easier to pull) while also having an easy way to disconnect that close tether without requiring the strength or gymnastic skill to unweight the rope. There are probably lots of ways to deal with this, one example to hang a sling on the line to step up in to unclip. I'm sure there are plenty of other ideas as well. Recently I saw a climber with the Petzl Connect mentioned earlier in the thread, and I was thinking if that was load-releasable while weighted, it would be ideal - clip to rope, pull tight, traverse across, lengthen tether (with back-up longer tether still clipped), step down and unclip the (previously) shorter tether without having to pull up on the rope and unhook a carabiner with one arm.

I was wondering if it was easy or even possible to lengthen the Petzl Connect or an adjustable daisy while weighted, and if not, if there was another piece of gear that it was possible with.

Wasn't really interested in long conversations about all the other elements of the situation, which is why I left it out and focused on the one specific gear question, but hopefully I have satisfied your curiosity. And thank you to all of those who responded with useful suggestions, it has been very helpful!

csproul · · Pittsboro...sort of, NC · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 330

Sounds like an adjustable daisy connected to a progress capture pulley might work.

Ian Dorko · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 110

-tie in with a piece of rope
-use a munter hitch on a locker to attach to your tyrolean/anchor/whatever
-use a friction hitch attached to your belay loop on the brake strand of the munter

you should be able to initially rig it super short and then give slack one-handed through the friction hitch to lengthen the rig (essentially lowering yourself out on the munter).

Ben Stabley · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 207

Purcell Prusik with a stopper knot to make an extra clipping loop. Keep in mind that this is likely weaker than a purcell used normally. Tie as shown. Clip into that small loop by the double fisherman's knot (the purple carabiner is in the main loop). It'll slide all the way from your harness to the normal max extension of the purcell.

Purcell prusik with extra clipping loop for getting really short.

Another option is to clip 2 locking carabiners to the purcell's main loop. Then clip one back to your belay loop. As you slide the prusik knot, the loop becomes larger or smaller, and makes the leash longer or shorter. I've used that when a guide made me pre-rig my rappel.

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21

from the videos I looked at the Connect adjust, or progress, would work as you want.
Simple one handed operation for extending and pulling in.

Van Doan · · Reno, NV · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0
rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847

The Petzl Connect won't release when weighted.

To be able to lower under weight and then lock she'll need a GriGri on a short rope.

I'm curious what she's planning on doing with the rig. A clue might yield different methods to the problem.

matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155

Seems like the connect is your best option. However, if you want a low tech solution a releasable marine hitch might work. Look at video at 2:15
youtu.be/84IoNZnAOGc?t=134

csproul · · Pittsboro...sort of, NC · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 330
rocknice2 wrote:The Petzl Connect won't release when weighted. To be able to lower under weight and then lock she'll need a GriGri on a short rope. I'm curious what she's planning on doing with the rig. A clue might yield different methods to the problem.
she explains it about three posts up ^^
Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5
rocknice2 wrote:I'm curious what she's planning on doing with the rig. A clue might yield different methods to the problem.
Reading might yield a clue...

about 6 posts above yours. :)

A grigri has been suggested:
Em Cos wrote: A gri-gri with a short length of rope would work perfectly, but is way too expensive for a single-purpose dedicated tether.
Sounds like the Petzl Connect won't adjust under load, if that's true of an adjustable daisy as well then I think it may be possible to rig something with a cord and friction hitch - I'll play around with the purcell prussik variation posted here and some of the other ideas. Thanks everyone!
Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
Em Cos wrote: Reading might yield a clue... about 6 posts above yours. :) A grigri has been suggested: Sounds like the Petzl Connect won't adjust under load, if that's true of an adjustable daisy as well then I think it may be possible to rig something with a cord and friction hitch - I'll play around with the purcell prussik variation posted here and some of the other ideas. Thanks everyone!
the video i watching a few minutes ago, had a guy adjusting it under standing load, (not full body weight hang) with one hand, by levering (tilting) the capture device.
rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847

Sorry Em, missed your explanation above.

As I read it, you may be better off with aid etriers. Even a setup like the one you were proposing would be difficult to go up and clip the Tyrolean line. With steps one just climbs up and clips then reverse the process on the other side.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Adjustable personal tether, releasable under load?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started