Mountain Project Logo

Stolen bag at Bastille Crack

Original Post
Matthew Sharpe · · boulder · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 15

I stashed my grey metolius rope bag (speedster) in between some rocks at the base of the bastille crack, a few feet to the left of the start. We were the first party up today at 5:45am. On our decent we decided to give Blind Faith a go. Back at the base around 12:45p, and the bag was nowhere to be found.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sadly, my keys were in the zipper pocket...

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Thieves abound in the park, so avoid leaving anything next time. Bastille, Wind Tower and the Whale are all bad places. Upper Redgarden is fine, as are most other remote areas.

Logan Schiff · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 60
Stich wrote:Thieves abound in the park, so avoid leaving anything next time. Bastille, Wind Tower and the Whale are all bad places. Upper Redgarden is fine, as are most other remote areas.
Shit really? I was totally planning to dump my pack and shoes at the base next week. What about at the Flatirons?

Thanks for the heads up. And sorry you lost your bag Matt.
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Logan Schiff wrote: Shit really? I was totally planning to dump my pack and shoes at the base next week. What about at the Flatirons? Thanks for the heads up. And sorry you lost your bag Matt.
I, too, hope Matt gets his bag and keys back. Acknowledging Stich's post though, the bag was stashed less than 2 feet from perhaps the most heavily used dirt road in Colorado.
Brian C. · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 1,100
Logan Schiff wrote: What about at the Flatirons?
I had a buddy get his pack from a hidden spot by a "helpful" hiker. So many people are out by any Boulder area trail that stuff always has a chance of getting taken. Kind of sucks.
Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

Next time I climb the Bastille I think I'm going to bring my pack up and clip it to the P1 anchors. I'll just have to climb it again 1 more time to grab my gear and lower off.

Hope you get your gear back Matt.

J. Broussard · · CordryCorner · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 50

y'all ever see the hiker with carbiners all over their bag and gear. Or even better, the homeboy that needs his alpine axes to circumnavigate Bear Lake?

Climbing Gear is really cool looking and shouldn't be left unattended.

Logan Schiff wrote: Shit really? I was totally planning to dump my pack and shoes at the base next week. What about at the Flatirons? Thanks for the heads up. And sorry you lost your bag Matt.
Over the years there have been dozens of stolen packs in Eldo at the places I mentioned. Ask the park rangers as well. It's a known problem. Leave your pack in the car since it's just feet away from the routes.
Wally · · Denver · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 0

Crummy idea, Jon. Not fair to other climbers likely climbing below you. Rack up at the car! Just leave a water bottle, the rope bag (without keys!), and a crummy pair of tennis shoes at the base of the route.

Jon, it would be OK however to leave a severed head at the pitch 2 belay. Climbers in Boulder have been doing this for years, so they have come to expect the vacant eyes of the dead upon reaching those fixed anchors. You could in fact put your keys inside the head, but really, yuck.

wayne willoughby · · SEATTLE · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 95

Hope that you get your bag and it's contents back, Matthew. Leaving your bag in the car or at an anchor sounds like a good plan for the future. When I climbed that route with Craig De Martino he purposely left his prosthetic walking leg, (he uses a different one for climbing), on top of his bag, and said, 'hopefully no one will steal the bag with my prosthetic on top.'

dylan grabowski · · Denver · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 95
wayne willoughby wrote:Hope that you get your bag and it's contents back, Matthew. Leaving your bag in the car or at an anchor sounds like a good plan for the future. When I climbed that route with Craig De Martino he purposely left his prosthetic walking leg, (he uses a different on for climbing), on top of his bag, and said, 'hopefully no one will steal the bag with my prosthetic on top.'
What a total beast.
Matthew Sharpe · · boulder · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 15

Thanks for the feedback and kind words everyone! Thankfully I had a spare car key and was able to make my trip out to Yosemite.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Stolen bag at Bastille Crack"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started