Mountain Project Logo

Cigarettes and climbing courtesy.

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

#9 shall be changed to "rule #8 shall not apply to multi pitch anchors, the first climbers on the route shall have the moral high ground on the issue of smoking or non-smoking at the anchors.

#11 It is rude and inconsiderate to smoke within 15 feet of reasonably well behaved and properly monitored children. It is acceptable to blow smoke into the face of children who are stepping on your rope while belaying, throwing rocks or Trying to steal your cigarettes. For the purposes of this guideline, teenagers are not included.

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60
owen david wrote: They had an 80m and were linking everything. Their leader was yelling at the two followers the whole time to hurry up. We were happy to let them pass. We caught up with them at the next belay and they were chain smoking so I guess that would be ok?
Clearly you missed the double entendre.
A testament to your purity...
Disaster Franklin · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 30
Ryan M Moore wrote:Tentative Guidelines for Etiquette concerning Smoking and Climbing: ... 5. It is rude to ask a smoker greater than 10 feet away from you to stop smoking...
There you go, Owen David, you're a rude person and you should be ashamed of yourself for asking me to stop smoking from 20' away. I expect you to address a video apology to me by tomorrow, let's say 8pm PST. Or we can meet at Texas Canyon on Saturday or Sunday if you'd prefer to apologize in person.
Cory Tallman · · San Tan Valley, Arizona · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 135

Mr Moore,

How should we feel about celebratory cigars at the top anchors? Is it better or worse if you offer one to the non smokers? Also, I feel as if the rules should involve more guidelines about whiskey. I don't know how, but I feel like you're the guy to figure that out.

Bshirley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

let people do whatever they want. im not a smoker but they have as much right to do whatever they want there as I do. unless you own the crag; then you cant make rules, keep your head down and do what you went there to do.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Bshirley wrote:....... keep your head down and do what you went there to do.
Don't you know son... Owen David doesn't have his head down... he's got his eyebrows down...

youtu.be/ssNFugp-1jw
William Thiry · · Las Vegas · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 311
Bshirley wrote:let people do whatever they want. im not a smoker but they have as much right to do whatever they want there as I do. unless you own the crag; then you cant make rules, keep your head down and do what you went there to do.
That also means that people who dislike smoking have every such right to keep it out of their airspace and ask the people who are too cool to care about others to please light up somewhere else. Unless you own the crag you have no right to whine about people asking you to take it elsewhere.
Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I'm right!!!!

No I'm right!!!

No I'm right and you're wrong!!!

No I'm right, you're wrong, stop whining!!!!!!

No I'm right, you're wrong, stop whining or I'll punch you in the face!!!!!!

No I'm right you're wrong, stop whining or I'll shoot you for giving me a black eye and lung cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115

Owen, did you consider a citizens arrest? Smoking there was a Class B misdemeanor. You had more than enough rope to hog tie them while you awaited the arrival of proper authorities.

Though, per the rule the park rangers are exempt from their own rule and thus allowed to smoke. Just a little food for thought. Clearly proves that we should rely on the nanny state to protect us from everything. After all, that is the climbers way.

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175
Bill Kirby wrote:I'm right!!!! No I'm right!!! No I'm right and you're wrong!!! No I'm right, you're wrong, stop whining!!!!!! No I'm right, you're wrong, stop whining or I'll punch you in the face!!!!!! No I'm right you're wrong, stop whining or I'll shoot you for giving me a black eye and lung cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And repeat for a minimum of 10 pages....
Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195
Bill Kirby wrote:I'm right!!!! No I'm right!!! No I'm right and you're wrong!!! No I'm right, you're wrong, stop whining!!!!!! No I'm right, you're wrong, stop whining or I'll punch you in the face!!!!!! No I'm right you're wrong, stop whining or I'll shoot you for giving me a black eye and lung cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this sums up every MP thread that is more than 1 page long ahahha
Taylor Owen Brooks · · Los Angeles, Ca · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 45
No, it's more or less an exchange of ideas, even yours (less).
Obviously you have nothing better to do, living in Baltimore.
Jake wander wrote: this sums up every MP thread that is more than 1 page long ahahha
People writing about others "whining" are...whining.
They seem to make up most of the actual "whining" in the threads.
owen david wrote: No, it's more or less an exchange of ideas, even yours (less). Obviously you have nothing better to do, living in Baltimore.
I ask again, what happened to no hyperboles or personal attacks?

Exchange of ideas? Ok

I'm in Atlantic City right now not Baltimore. But did I hurt your feelings? Everyone else enjoyed that post.

View looking north from floor 68 of the Tropicana
owen david wrote: People writing about others "whining" are...whining. They seem to make up most of the actual "whining" in the threads.
That was kinda the point!
Ryan M Moore wrote:#9 shall be changed to "rule #8 shall not apply to multi pitch anchors, the first climbers on the route shall have the moral high ground on the issue of smoking or non-smoking at the anchors. #11 It is rude and inconsiderate to smoke within 15 feet of reasonably well behaved and properly monitored children. It is acceptable to blow smoke into the face of children who are stepping on your rope while belaying, throwing rocks or Trying to steal your cigarettes. For the purposes of this guideline, teenagers are not included.
I request a recess to explore more data. We may need to have a hearing to agree on harmful distance. This finding says 30 feet. How about you smoke in your cars before climbing so we don't have to suffer your lung darts. Make cigarette brownies that you can eat throughout the day to get your fix, like pot brownies.

dailymail.co.uk/health/arti…
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

The greatest thing about this thread is being able to identify at least 4 people that I'd never want to climb with; probably not want to meet IRL, too.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 70

I have a sudden urge to pick up smoking cigs at the crag. I already love to smoke weed at the crag.

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460
Bill Kirby wrote: I ask again, what happened to no hyperboles or personal attacks? Exchange of ideas? Ok I'm in Atlantic City right now not Baltimore. But did I hurt your feelings? Everyone else enjoyed that post.
I'm the only one on here that gets to give you shit about Baltimore, and that's specifically geared towards the Ravens....

Speaking of, curious to see what Correa and Kaufusi (CANNOT BELIEVE he was still there in the 3rd round) can bring to the pass rush, you gotta get some insurance behind Suggs and Dummerville, on the plus side, I think picking those two in the second and third rounds of the draft confirms that ya'll will be sticking with a 3-4 Defense, which dispels the silly rumors of a (foolish) switch to the 4-3
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started