Mountain Project Logo

best core exercises for climbing ?

Original Post
routesetter · · portland · Joined May 2016 · Points: 20

im just curious what other climbers do for core exercises so let me know guys !! hopefully theres a few i dont know :)

dylan grabowski · · Denver · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 95

I do planks, l-sits, and hanging leg raises.

Ian Cavanaugh · · Ketchum, ID · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 620

TRX is a great tool, look into that

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

Sex.

Often.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

Wind screen wipers are pretty damn sweet, i also like bicycle kicks they are a great progression to front lever.

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
that guy named seb wrote:Wind screen wipers are pretty damn sweet, i also like bicycle kicks they are a great progression to front lever.
what are bicycle kicks? My head has an image and i'm struggling to see how it progresses to levers?
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
Squeak wrote: what are bicycle kicks? My head has an image and i'm struggling to see how it progresses to levers?
Go into a position where you're body is horizontal but your legs are tucked in, proceed to kick the air alternating one leg at a time, if you do it right it' looks like your riding a bicycle.
Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
that guy named seb wrote: Go into a position where you're body is horizontal but your legs are tucked in, proceed to kick the air alternating one leg at a time, if you do it right it' looks like your riding a bicycle.
Cool, that makes sense Thanks
wayne willoughby · · SEATTLE · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 95

I have been using an Ab Carver Pro for a few years, and find it a very effective tool. There are sites with them for under 25 bucks.

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

Kipping pull ups. Will also work you lats.

Brian Hazell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Here is a circuit developed by Scott Johnson and described in his book Training for the New Alpinism. It is designed to hit all of the smaller core muscles not only the large ones which are typically used to do sit ups or planks. In the book he says to do each exercise until your form is no longer perfect.

Here is the link: uphillathlete.com/how-to-do…

Trevor stuart · · Denver · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 105
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "best core exercises for climbing ?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started