Mountain Project Logo

Your favorite outdoor climbing pants?

Original Post
Nick Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 15

I've been very partial to the Prana Brions, but mine are close to retirement. Looking to maybe try something new

Rearviewmirror · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 35

My new favorite colder weather pants are these guys:

haglofs.com/se/en/Pants/SKA…

Super comfortable, stretchy, warm and also very abrasion resistant.

ChrisN · · Morro Bay, CA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 25

Prana zion stretch.

Max Forbes · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 108

^

ubu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 10

^^

Joe Platko · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 10

^^^

Markuso · · Fernie · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 95

^^^^

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

I just picked up REIs new activator soft shell pants and I really like them if the temps are below 75-80*, super stretchy and water resistant, zipped pockets, built in belt. And you can get them in grey, grey, or grey ;)

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

So, this begs the question. Do you always climb in pants or do you sometimes use shorts? I've found I prefer to climb in pants unless it's waaaay to hot out and pretty much miserable to be in a pant.

ubu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 10
Tim Lutz wrote:wow, you guys like to drop $90 for pants you will tear up on the rock?! I wear whatever I can find for less than $20
I just pick up Zions on clearance in whatever color happens to be available. I don't think I've ever paid more than $40 for a pair. Plus, until they get chewed up from climbing, they're nice enough to wear to the office.
mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

For good weather, Wrangler advanced comfort jeans... stretchy and only $19/pr. If sketchy weather, stretchy nylon like Zion etc.

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

I've always bought the Zions on clearance as well. Never paid $90. Plus, in my experience they last pretty damn long. When I visited Vedauwoo last summer, I didn't use them. I think sharp ow thrashing could do some damage, but for normal trad / sport / bouldering / alpine rock, I can go for a year before I start getting holes in the knees.

Bapgar 1 · · Out of the Loop · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 90

Khul also has some nice super light weight synthetic pants. They're nice if it's really hot and you still would prefer not to wear shorts.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

Prana Zion Stretch pants and shorts. All have lasted me for years.

Matt Westlake · · Durham, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 662

I always feel like even the stretchiest of cheap jeans are too binding to prevent feeling like you are fighting with your pants. It's a mix of too-tight and you don't get enough freedom of movement or too baggy and you get binding from the fabric sagging. I guess it depends on how much thrutching, highstepping, stemming, or funny body positioning you expect to have to deal with.

I've got a couple pairs of Arcteryx Rampart pants and shorts. Waited to find them on clearance. They are super light weight and have held up pretty well - with the notable exception of the back pockets which blew out on both pairs almost immediately. Any sliding over rocks just obliterates them. Really comfy and great for hot weather. In the cold I just add a long underwear layer and I'm good to go. Been my go-to climbing pants for about 4 or 5(?) years now. Aside from the pockets I've put a couple tiny rips in them and finally split one knee a few months ago when I bashed my knee on some sharp rock. I do wear a belt with those (I favor the heavy duty webbing variety for infinite adjustability, such as the patagonia tech web belt)

I've got a pair of prana capri style pants that are a bit more heavy duty (forget the type) that have an integrated belt. That is nice although the belt is a bit narrow. Those work well under a harness but I still feel sort of stupid wearing capris.

crom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 25

My mhw piero pants are pretty tough, i also like the zions from prana.

Paula Cooper · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 20

For women, TNF Arches are AMAZING! They have stood up to a lot of abuse and they still look great. 5-star rating on every review I've seen, so of course TNF stopped making them. Gah!

Nick Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 15
Tim Lutz wrote:wow, you guys like to drop $90 for pants you will tear up on the rock?! I wear whatever I can find for less than $20
I typically find mine for around $40, I think its worth it to drop the extra $20 on something that will be incredibly comfortable and last long.
Mathias · · Loveland, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 306

I like the Prana Stretch Zions too. When I bought them I was skeptical they'd hold up to much wear, but I've done chimneys and OWs in them without any real signs of wear. I've had my first pair for about 2 years now and they're still going strong. The Kuhl Ryders (I think that's what they are)which I bought for rougher rock got destroyed pretty quickly.

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Mathias wrote:I like the Prana Stretch Zions too. When I bought them I was skeptical they'd hold up to much wear, but I've done chimneys and OWs in them without any real signs of wear.
It's almost counterintuitive, but the much thicker cotton pants don't last nearly as long as stretchy soft shells on the rock (although they protect the skin better when you have to grunt up rough rock). That said, I personally can't stand the Prana Stretch Zion for chimney/OW/kneebar as the fabric slides too easily against the skin.

I have a pretty exclusive source for a line of climbing pants not generally available in the states; I suppose I should stop teasing y'all about it.
The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460

I used to be a big fan of the Prana Stretch Zion, but not any longer, Eddie Bauer straight up outdid them top to bottom with the First Ascent Guide Pro Pants . I like the design (two thigh pockets!) and cut a bit more than the Zion's, and the material is much more comfortable, and seems to hold it's DWR longer than the Prana pants.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Your favorite outdoor climbing pants?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started