Mountain Project Logo

Mt Hood or Mt Whitney

Original Post
Robert Lindsen · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Hello fellow mountaineers! I'm on the hunt for a partner(s)! I'm planning on climbing the Southside Route of Mt. Hood on May 26th or 27th, and the Mountaineers Route on Mt. Whitney around June 3rd or 4th. If you're interested in either of these routes around those dates, please feel free to contact me!

I'm 25, and still relatively green in terms of experience (recently soloed Avy Gulch on Shasta, and I've spent some time climbing around Desolation Wilderness; lots of sport climbing experience though!), but I'm in good physical condition with a good head on my shoulders.

I look forward to hearing from you!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Getting a permit for Whitney could be cruxy. And you should get a permit.

Your permit would be for the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek, which is a different permit/quota than the main Whitney hiking trail.

It would be a good idea to reserve one in advance, if you can pick a date, from Recreation.gov.

Edit: I just looked up the quota for the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek:

10 per day, 6 are reservable, 4 are for walk-in (which are available at 11 AM the day before). Good luck.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Definitely reserve a permit for whitney. Its probably already too late. Tried the lotto with buddies to climb it and did not get it. We did get the hiking permit and did that which was fun enough.

Some people got 0 permits....

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
grog m wrote:Definitely reserve a permit for whitney. Its probably already too late. Tried the lotto with buddies to climb it and did not get it. We did get the hiking permit and did that which was fun enough. Some people got 0 permits....
From the USFS website:

If you want to climb the Mountaineers Route or other East Face climbing routes, use the trail name “North Fork of Lone Pine Creek” when reserving.
- Day use for these routes is in the lottery (day use permit is valid for all routes in the Whitney Zone).
- Overnight use is not in the lottery, reserve up to 6 months advance.

fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/re…
Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86

Robert, you didn't state wether you had a permit or not. I missed my lotto for September and would be willing to do Whitney with you if you can get the permits.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California Partners
Post a Reply to "Mt Hood or Mt Whitney"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started