Mountain Project Logo

Climbing in late July?

Original Post
Five15Factor2 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

Is it comfortable to climb at the New River Gorge or Red River Gorge in late July or is it ridiculously hot?

I'll be a ~6hr drive away for non-climbing reasons and trying to decide if it is worth spending a few days climbing as well or if I should just return home.

Keep in mind I live in Eastern Canada so hot weather is not my thing :)

Jeff Mekolites · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 5,250

It will be ridiculously hot and humid and buggy.

Nick Nystrom · · Monroeville, PA · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 120
Five15Factor2 wrote:Is it comfortable to climb at the New River Gorge or Red River Gorge in late July or is it ridiculously hot? I'll be a ~6hr drive away for non-climbing reasons and trying to decide if it is worth spending a few days climbing as well or if I should just return home. Keep in mind I live in Eastern Canada so hot weather is not my thing :)
Late July tends to be warm (80s) and humid. Going out early and finding shady routes helps.
Chris Whisenhunt · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 995

I personally climbing at the NRG during July/August however it's possible and with the right beta can be pretty enjoyable. It all depends on what you are trying to climb.

none none · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 950

I climbed at the Red last July. Yes, it is hot and humid - but find a shady crag and it will be fine! Bring extra chalk and climb juggy routes and you'll be golden.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Climbing in late July?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started