Mountain Project Logo

Blah Snortiva and $200 shoe pricings for rock

Original Post
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

are you smoking of the funny stuff?

why do you buy the $200 shoe and support ridiculous pricings, and not a $40 or $80 pair from the mad rock? Is holding the thought in your mind of the idea of an alleged slightly better shoe somehow enough to embolden your heart, unlimpen your weak arms, stiffen your neck meat, correct your dubious technique, overcome your crippling fear of safe lead falls of which you are definitely in denial about, reduce your fat beer gut, and allow you to send la dura dura?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Yes. And I don't smoke.

Mark Cowan · · Centerville, GA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 8

Climbing friend Aleks,

I suggest also looking at Cypher climbing shoes. I have been very pleased with their performance and the price is right also.

Jeff Welch · · Dolores, CO · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 282

I don't actually climb, I just spray about it on the interwebz.

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

Aren't La Sportiva's Italian? What kind of question is this?

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I got TC Pros and Muira VS.. They don't reduce your fat beer gut. I bought them because of my gut. Stiff shoes help fatty mericans legs from getting tired.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

Climbing fiend Aleks,

Shoes are pretty cheap in the big scheme of things.

My first pair of La Sportiva Megas were $145 in 1990, my parent's graduation gift for me. In today's dollars that is $271.98 for a pair of prancy footwear!

TC Pros today are $180, or $95.96 in 1990 dollars.

Shoes are cheaper now, we should all be happy!

Danny Herrera · · Sebastopol · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 567

$60 pontas

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Climbing friend.... do you even use your feet?

My Italian shoes outlast the cheap, poorly made Asian junk, by about 5 times....and because I have arms like spaghetti, I need all of the help I can get.

and the stuff I smoke will make you funny. so yes.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

Or maybe the question is why would you skimp on literally the only piece of gear that actually impacts your climbing ability?

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
Aleks Zebastian wrote:why do you buy the $200 shoe and support ridiculous pricings, and not a $40 or $80 pair from the mad rock?
-More $ invested in R&D
-Better quality rubber
-Better quality uppers
-Roll of the dice on better quality glue
-Not asia/pacific labor

If you went out and learned a bit about shoe production and economics you'd realize why climbing shoes are priced the way they are.
PaulMudd · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5

My TC Pros seem to start delaminating as soon as i take them out of the box. I have to glue them down with seam sealer. I do like how they climb though, just expect a little better quality for $180

Nathanael wrote:Or maybe the question is why would you skimp on literally the only piece of gear that actually impacts your climbing ability?
climbing friend,

get a good fit for your foot, and despite what our corporate overlords tell to us, you need not buy the most expensive climbing shoe money can buy based on belief it will help you climb on the climbing rocks better.

Follow your heart. that's what I do.
NorCalNomad wrote: If you went out and learned a bit about shoe production and economics you'd realize why climbing shoes are priced the way they are.
climbing friend,

As to your wang slap attempt, I say I do not do the learning. I only do the glorious crushing and bold flash at elite gradings for rocks, regardless of how expensive my shoes, or how young the children that make them.
Eliot Augusto · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60

Because I have really, really strange feet. They're not quite flat, not quite arched. So I 'need' leather if I want a tight fit they will actually shape my foot correctly. And that's only after weeks of pain. Every synthetic shoe I've had just hurts waaaay too much and never forms to my foot.

Climb friend,

Enlighten me on how to get the climbing leather without a five finger discount or paying $200?

cassondra l · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 335

Aleks: I too am like Eliot, I have very strange feet, and only the Italians seem to understand this. However, if Madrock started using xs grip2 rubber, I might consider switching over, since Madrock runs a close second in fit to LS.

Katiekorn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 35

Um... Duh... Because they look great in climbing pics

Sends McGee · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 15

Climbing friend,

With successful sending having a lot to do with one's confidence level on the wall, I would say most feel the highest confident with a more expensive shoe, right or wrong. While the fit is the most critical of factors to consider in a specific shoe, the brand those select are based off word of mouth and online reviews, thus solidifying their brainwashedness. The gracious mother of outdoor gear for yuppies, REI, also does not carry Mad Rock or any other "uncool" brand FYI

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
Eliot Augusto wrote:Because I have really, really strange feet. They're not quite flat, not quite arched. So I 'need' leather if I want a tight fit they will actually shape my foot correctly. And that's only after weeks of pain. Every synthetic shoe I've had just hurts waaaay too much and never forms to my foot. Climb friend, Enlighten me on how to get the climbing leather without a five finger discount or paying $200?
Cypher... Lots of leather shoes. Vibram XS grip or XS edge rubber. Some of the models fit weird feet, lots of leather models to eventually fit weird feet. Pretty affordable.
Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

I go with the good fit for my wife amurican feet.

J. Stark · · Iowa · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 649
Aleks Zebastian wrote: climbing friend, As to your wang slap attempt, I say I do not do the learning. I only do the glorious crushing and bold flash at elite gradings for rocks, regardless of how expensive my shoes, or how young the children that make them.
This needs to be printed on a decorative plate and proudly displayed.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Blah Snortiva and $200 shoe pricings for rock"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started