Mountain Project Logo

Rain in Moab this weekend

Original Post
Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130

As is my luck the forecast changed for Moab this weekend right before I was about to head out there from Boulder. Will the Creek and other areas likely be climbable despite the scattered showers? How much rain before the rock needs days to dry (0.01 in, 0.1 in, 1 in)? Very new to soft rock and Shelf will be nice alternative so I'd appreciate info on what is/isn't a good idea.

QGrochala Grochala · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 30

I'm in the same boat, although we're headed up there anyways just to get out of town and scout some areas for the next dry trip. As a non-local and someone who isn't farmiliar with soft rock, I was planning on not doing any climbing this weekend based on most recent forecast, just on the side of caution.

But to piggyback on this, does crackhouse leak or would it potentially be dry in there? Also how muddy is the road to ice cream parlor? I guess I'll find out soon enough but just curious about this weeks conditions.

Donovan Allen · · Soft Lake City · Joined May 2012 · Points: 356

I'm sure people will be climbing wet rock despite the forecast. Please say something if you do see anyone climbing wet rock. The only way to make sure it doesn't continue to happen is by making sure it doesn't continue to happen.

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121

Climbing on desert sandstone within 24 hours after rain is not recommended as the bonds in the rock are weakened and you are much more likely to break or change the route. Even splitter cracks get more wear and erosion if climbed after a rain. If you want to be the douche that doesn't care about future generations of climbers, then by all means, go for it.

Donovan Allen · · Soft Lake City · Joined May 2012 · Points: 356

^+1 . Sometimes people are just unaware. Sometimes people decide to justify climbing anyway because they drove all the way from (insert any city). I was there a few weeks ago and got rained out after one perfect day. I also met a couple from South Africa who got rained out too... Guess what? They decided to hike and rent bikes instead. If the people from South Africa can be responsible so can you.

cdec · · SLC, UT · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 654

A little hard to follow but it might help.

If there's mud no way! If the sand is dry but it rained recently give the ground a kick.
If it's dry on top but wet just under the surface the rock is too. Let it dry more.

Holds breaking off is not good. The more subtle, but just as serious, issue is the rounding that happens so much more quickly when wet stone is climbed. Crisp edges go away in sandstone for sure. They will go away much faster when wet and climbed on.
Ben Gleason · · Durango, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 61

Did it end up raining today (meaning Saturday)? Sunday looks decent.

It was raining in spurts yesterday and last night. Crackhouse was dry in AM and then we got rained on, going to look at Kane springs now but expecting some more moisture, lots o' rain clouds on the horizon.

Also thanks for the flow char cdec, that's awesome.

Tedk · · elliottsburg pa · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

2 weeks ago we had a perfect weather for one of our climbing days in moab, and rained the 2nd, so we took a hike to the kiva in the morning between rain showers, and then the la sal mtn loop rd in the afternoon pretty nice up there. tons to do out there. if you have 4wd and back in kane creek area take a ride to the wind caves pretty interesting place to mess around for a few hours .

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

I ran a variation of the Moab trail marathon (Kane Creek area) yesterday. It rained/hailed intermittently in pockets throughout the day. So far this morning rain only over the La Sals. Yesterday's 40% chance of precip forecast didn't detour the throngs of people at Ice Cream Parlor.

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130
cdec wrote: A little hard to follow but it might help. If there's mud no way! If the sand is dry but it rained recently give the ground a kick. If it's dry on top but wet just under the surface the rock is too. Let it dry more. Holds breaking off is not good. The more subtle, but just as serious, issue is the rounding that happens so much more quickly when wet stone is climbed. Crisp edges go away in sandstone for sure. They will go away much faster when wet and climbed on.
Thank you for giving a practical answer. This is exactly what I was looking for and I will follow and disseminate it as much as possible. Shelf Road was nice and dry so Moab waits again.
Bolting Karen · · La Sal, UT · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 56

Its raining here in Moab right now, pretty hard and has been all night as well. Supposed to clear up this afternoon but I'm sure the rock will be soft all the way through tomorrow. Wednesday afternoon could be good if the forecast does what it says it should. The low winds might delay it more though.

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

And it rained again last night.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Rain in Moab this weekend"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started