Mountain Project Logo

Outside climbing compaired to inside

Original Post
Jared Suppo · · Phoenix, Airizona · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

In the gym i climb a V4-V5s and I just successfully did my first lead/sports climb Sunday first on a 5.6 to practice then successfully lead 5 other climbs not sure of the rating since I didn't look it up but i was reallu interested in the one climb I did since it had a couple over hangs witch are pretty much my favorite types of climbs and when I got home i found it was a 5.11- the routes called Petrified Located in OhioPyle end river crag I was wondering if people found outside climbing easier or harder? I kinda find outside easier since the texture of the rock isn't greasy or slippery and my adrenaline on some of the moves had my strength feeling like a all time high and it's just a whole different atmosphere I deffintly perfer outside climbing ESP for the adrenaline also to my understanding a 5.11 is a pretty hard route?

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

Outdoor climbing is easy. Indoor climbing is the real challenge. Also, rappelling. Rappelling is really hard.

I deffintly think indoor climbing helps especially for strength and endorance and figuring out many many different types of holds and let's face it not everyone is lucky enough to live by alot of crags and I will continue to stay with my climbing gym I just find it hard to get motivated especially when I been on this same V5 for 2.5 weeks and the adrenaline isnt like it is outside lol I would like to post the picture to see what others would rate the climb by just from looks but don't know how

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

Yer gonna die.

Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507

This is a really low blow elenor

SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

^^^. Yeah, grammar and spelling.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Maybe you are yanking our chains, or maybe you really are as young and ignorant as your posts seem.

If you are the first, you are the one who has to live with that. But if you are the second...

So, yes, 11 is quite hard, BUT that may only apply to the crux of that route. It is also quite possible to go off route and climb around what would have been the hard bits. And, the grade assumes you are climbing on lead, not top rope or following as second.

Inside, vs. outside? They are simply two quite different things. Some prefer one, some the other, but I'm guessing most of us on here are outdoor climbers who use gym climbing to augment what we do.

For myself, all of it is ridiculously difficult, even the routes in the gym that I set myself! I much prefer outside, as then the rock is entirely yours to figure out, move by move, however you can make it work.

In my reply in your rope post, I was NOT encouraging you to practice on your own then charge outdoors. I was warning you to get really, really, really sharp before you even go out with a group. The big question here, is if BOTH of you are skilled enough to take care of the other. My son came to this from his SAR training, so I had complete trust in him. BUT, I was not belaying him until he had complete trust in my ability to do so.

You might be able to pull off a lead, but if she has only been belaying inside, your gf is not ready to belay a lead climb outside, and you are in a pretty dangerous place in the learning curve right now.

All that said, I do wish you the best. The rest of you? Please consider if this is a kid you're talking to, and the consequences. Best to all of you, anyway. :-) H.

delacc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

One main difference inside, outside is that routes/bolts in the gym are maintained. Most probably you will even be looked after in some way.

Gym and sport climbing in a crag also means, routes are documented. And if you get tired, completely exhausted, you are on the ground in 20 seconds to buy yourself coffee or a pizza.

Climbing trad and especially trad in alpine routes means you rely only on yourself, your planning and technical ablilities. You are on your own. Reserve of any kind gets much more important.

There's rule of thumb if you lead UIAA grade x in gym, you maybe lead x-2 outdoors.

Old lady you sound like the type that's scared to cross the street idk how you got into climbing with all the risks everyone knows climbing is dangerous but your obviously old school on this situation and believe the younger generation is incapable of being able to teach them selfs im a pretty intelligent youngman (25) the concept of climbing,clipping,2points of contact up top double checking your gear is not a hard thing to follow as for climbing I look at a route and judge if I think I can or not if I think I can im going for it maybe I have a bigger set then you maybe I trust the gri gri to much maybe I'm just self confident and want to push my limits maybe just maybe I'm crazy but you might not agree with the progress I made but respect what I'm trying to do and see and achieve also how else do you get better climbing 5.7s all day? also he's the link to the picture you tell me where I could of went off track s32.postimg.org/iilrqa7px/I…

Jack V · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 10

Holy sprayfest, Batman! Old Lady H, don't feed the troll.

Edit: Old Lady H, If you are ever in the Reno/Tahoe area, I would climb 5.7 with you anyday. (in fact, I love 5.7 :) )

khalifornia · · Colorado · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Old Lady H seems to be quite possibly the nicest and most genuine person in the world.

Glenn Schuler · · Monument, Co. · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,330
Jared Suppo wrote:Old lady you sound like the type that's scared to cross the street idk how you got into climbing with all the risks everyone knows climbing is dangerous but your obviously old school on this situation and believe the younger generation is incapable of being able to teach them selfs im a pretty intelligent youngman (25) the concept of climbing,clipping,2points of contact up top double checking your gear is not a hard thing to follow as for climbing I look at a route and judge if I think I can or not if I think I can im going for it maybe I have a bigger set then you maybe I trust the gri gri to much maybe I'm just self confident and want to push my limits maybe just maybe I'm crazy but you might not agree with the progress I made but respect what I'm trying to do and see and achieve also how else do you get better climbing 5.7s all day? also he's the link to the picture you tell me where I could of went off track s32.postimg.org/iilrqa7px/I…
OMFG this is priceless! Punk - shu - ashun is your friend.

Jared, people like you are what is wrong with climbing these days. Eat a D*ck dude.
closed · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

The previous threads by this guy were good but this one been really entertaining. Who needs reality TV when you have MP?

Henry Holub · · Altus, OK · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 705

Jared, OLH is one of nicest and damn nearly the most genuine person you'll ever come across on this forum. You've somehow managed to go off on a person who genuinely cares whether or not you and/or your partner get hurt/die climbing. But I guess that's the nature of this forum. Kudos on "having a pair" larger than her though.

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60
Henry Holub wrote:Jared, OLH is one of nicest and damn nearly the most genuine person you'll ever come across on this forum. You've somehow managed to go off on a person who genuinely cares whether or not you and/or your partner get hurt/die climbing. But I guess that's the nature of forum. Kudos on "having a pair" larger than her though.
It's funny, in a previous post OLH gave OP some sound advice and he was more than thankful. Now she gives more sound advice and he berates her. What a goon.
EDIT TO ADD:
I guess this could just be a drawn out trolling but the final verdict still stands: Goon.
Genericclimberguy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,631

I train outside so i can crush inside. My gym has this crazy "pink route"...so Ive been traveling all over the country to various crags to prepare me for this proj...think I'm ready. Once I send this long time proj...Im going to start entering marathons to prepare me for my local gym's treadmill. Psych is at an all time high! ;)

JohnSol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15
Jared Suppo wrote: im a pretty intelligent youngman
Undoubtedly

Jared Suppo wrote: the concept of climbing,clipping,2points of contact up top double checking your gear is not a hard thing to follow
Yep, that's it. Off to the Eiger, shurfat fortress, cassain ridge.
Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Jared Suppo wrote:Old lady you sound like the type that's scared to cross the street idk how you got into climbing with all the risks everyone knows climbing is dangerous but your obviously old school on this situation and believe the younger generation is incapable of being able to teach them selfs im a pretty intelligent youngman (25) the concept of climbing,clipping,2points of contact up top double checking your gear is not a hard thing to follow as for climbing I look at a route and judge if I think I can or not if I think I can im going for it maybe I have a bigger set then you maybe I trust the gri gri to much maybe I'm just self confident and want to push my limits maybe just maybe I'm crazy but you might not agree with the progress I made but respect what I'm trying to do and see and achieve also how else do you get better climbing 5.7s all day? also he's the link to the picture you tell me where I could of went off track s32.postimg.org/iilrqa7px/I…
Okay sweetcakes, you asked for it.

1. Once you simmer down, you'll fit in here just fine. Come out to Idaho, and we'll show you some REAL rocks, and a mountain or two (got a couple out here).

2. Speaking of a couple, ahem, whilst I admit that gravity has taken a HUGE and ugly toll, regarding MY set, well...

3. I started when I was 57, and I am an almost complete, ignorant, noob myself, so I know whereof I speak when I bring up DANGEROUS and learning curve at the same time.

So, friend, yeah friend, I'm stoopid that way too. I did look at that climb. Yes, you might be an 11 right out of the box, it does happen, but can your FRIEND climb at the level to rescue your ass? It is a legit question. You can totally learn this stuff yourself, and more than a few on here have, but you put more than yourself at risk as a climber. And, it's a small, small community, that does care when something bad happens.

But, again, PLEASE never ever convince yourself you are incapable of being stupid. That's the difference between alive and dead, NO exaggeration.

The info I fed you on ratings is correct. Some, are for the route in general, but a lot are just one move, so yeah, maybe you are so fabulous you can flame everyone else with impunity...oh, wait. That's ability, not knowledge or experience. Or, you may have just pulled off a fabulous climb. Looking at it, it seemed to slope back, have a lot of possibilities for holds, and MAYBE was primarily difficult because of the roofs. It had enough that I would have at least played with it, myself, and I'm nuthin to write home about. I also cheat a lot. :-D

Regardless, welcome! Do try to listen, now and then, but stay you. Ornery is a good trait, to a point. As I said before, you are the one who has to judge all of this, all of the time. Stay safe! And keep your gf safe, too.

FWIW, I was flamed pretty hard a couple times, too. But, they are a great, CRAZY group. Thanks, all! He/she who was never a noob doesn't exist. Well, maybe a few.

Best to all, H.
Savannah23 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

It's like this: 5.11 is different everywhere. Let's say u are in Clear Creek Canyon, then it's relatively easy. If you are in JTree or Yose then its freaking hard. Let's say you are a crack climber in "the Creek", then it's easy cos you are essentially on tr the whole time, it also depends on the size of your hands. Go by this: if its an old school route , 10 was the hardest they could ever imagine climbing back then so do your math, 11 is gonna be stiff. New age sport 11's are gonna be chill. Talking about gyms, the shorter the walls the stiffer the grades. Also the more ghetto location of the gym the stiffer the grades. Suburban mom/pop gyms cater to egos, hence softer grades. Think Tucson's Rocks and Ropes vs Boulder's Movement. there is no comparison in grades whatsoever. You catching my drift? Okay, take two sister gyms{Planet Granite} Sunnyvale vs Redwood City(or some other ghetto location I cant remember). HUGE difference in grades. Same company, different grades.

your welcome.

Savannah23 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Lady H, didn't you just start climbing like a few months ago? Now you're spraying about grades and all. I see you enjoy this forum quite a bit, no harm done. Write about what you know, someone said. I think it was Steven King. Just sayin.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Outside climbing compaired to inside"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started