Mountain Project Logo

Mt. Evans: Rock East of Lincoln Lake?

Original Post
JackRyan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 65
Mile or so East of Lincoln Lake: Mt. Evans

Detail 1

Detail 2

I was messing around and found this area a mile or so east of Lincoln Lake/Lincoln Lake Slabs down by the Beaver Meadow Campground on Google Earth. From the description, this isn't included in the Lincoln Lake Slabs area. Has anyone been back there to check this out? Would it be worth the hike in?
aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300

I saw the same formation on Google Maps when I was planning a snowshoeing trip to Lincoln Lake last weekend, and I thought about the same. Unfortunately I didn't even make it half way to Lincoln Lake due to snow, but if there's no information on these rocks, I'd like to go check it out once all the snow melts.

How much snow was up there? The road in from Evergreen up to those camping spots is closed until June I believe.

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300

You can get to the Echo Lake trailhead from Idaho Springs, the road is totally snow free. The trail (Resthouse trail) is snow covered right from the parking lot. I didn't put on snowshoes first thing in the morning, it was ok for awhile, but I did posthole a few times all the way down to my thighs. I put on my snowshoes soon after, without snowshoes it will be a nightmare once the snow starts to soften up.

Mike Morin · · Glen, NH · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,350

I explored that area back in 2009 with a buddy of mine. We only made one trip in from the Evergreen side, but I recall the rock being quite fun, with lots of potential. I'm pretty sure we didn't climb the formation you're looking at, but it was in the same neighborhood.

Knobby Evans Wilderness Rock

Awesome, makes me want to get back there even more...hope all the snow melts soon. I was thinking of approaching it from the Evergreen side as well.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Mt. Evans: Rock East of Lincoln Lake?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started