Mountain Project Logo

City of rocks questions

Original Post
mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Considering visiting CoR soon, hope it happens!

A few questions:

It appears that my wife will need to get a good internet hookup and workspace for work while we are there camping. Is this even possible there?

If she's working, I'll need partners, How easy is it to hook up at the campground or here on MP partner finder?

Sounds like dispersed camping in BLM land nearby is possible if NPS camping is full. Any recommendations? Our camping rig is self contained.

Is there drinking water at the main CG?

Thanks!

Chasing Choss · · California · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 416

when i was there last i stayed at the campground right in front of bath rock and to get any sort of decent internet connection i had to climb up to the top of bath rock. and finding partners could be tricky but im sure you could find one there i was able to! hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks Choss,

I am assuming you mean iphone or android type data from the top of bath rock??

I mean full on WIFI computer connection and somewhere to set up workspace like a library or even hotel room. Would also need capability to accept VPN so she can connect to her work server. Currently here in Utah the libraries block such security so she can't work in the public library.

Tombo · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 410

Camping is sprawled out and there is water available in a few location. Bath lot is the main parking lot and has water and vault toilets. There is also a message board in the lot where you can post for partners. Great place can't wait to go back.

Thanks Tombo,

helpful!

Trevor · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 830

Internet: I get 5 bars of LTE service via Verizon at Finger Rock. As for your wifi needs, check with Rock City and the Almo Outpost.

Dispersed camping: Driving south through Almo, drive towards the city, but do not turn right to go to the city. Keep going on the dirt road and turn right immediately after crossing the 2nd cattle guard onto a somewhat rocky double track. There are sites all along this dirt 'road' that generally don't fill up.

Water: the best water at the city comes from the Emery Pass water pump.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Trevor Thornton wrote:Internet: I get 5 bars of LTE service via Verizon at Finger Rock. As for your wifi needs, check with Rock City and the Almo Outpost.
Or use your cell phone as a hot spot.
peter heekin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 141

if you stay at the smokey mountain campsite you can buy wifi. it also has hot showers and flush toilets.

Thanks everyone.

So anybody need a partner? My wife got more work and needs to head home. I have a couple weeks to climb. Just a little cracked out after close to 2 months at Indian Creek. I figure I'll drive up in a few days. Lead 5.10-5.11 trad or sport.

Rain at Indian Creek this morning, so the journey has begun. I expect to arrive at CoR late tomorrow or sometime Tuesday.

Anyone going to be there?

S.Lee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 30

I'll be there tomorrow tell wednesday, PM sent

Kevin Hansen · · Melba Idaho · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 130

I'd love to, but I'm swamped this week.

mountainproject.com/v/city-…

Jenna Balinski · · Ten Sleep, WY · Joined May 2015 · Points: 11

I may be there in a few days! Currently at smith rock, finding it hard to leave but the weekend is coming, so will probably head out Friday

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "City of rocks questions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started