Mountain Project Logo

Red Desert WY

Original Post
JenE Econopouly · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Has anyone climbed in this area or have interest in doing so? There has to be a wealth of rock tucked away...

Chris Burton · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5

I worked out there years ago and looked for good rock and didn't find much. The red Desert is pretty bare; if its tucked away, its really tucked away. I drove just about every road in and around Rock Springs and Green River, and its pretty much a rolling plateau of sagebrush. There's some bouldering in Green River and apparently a few routes and some boulders in Flaming Gorge. I met a climber that worked the climbing wall at the Rock Springs Rec center and prodded him for beta. Like I said, pretty sparse.
It seems the name Red Desert is a bit of a misnomer; its certainly not named so because of a wealth of red rock. Most of the exposed rock out there is a chossy mud pile (if you've driven I-80 through Green River you would be looking at a great example). Pilot Butte has probably been summited by some industrious and fool-hardy chap because it there.
Sweetwater Rocks, to the North and East of Rock Springs by a few hours, might be considered part of the Red Desert, but the landscape characteristics are pretty different so I'm doubting it. Those are beautiful granite domes with adventurous bolted and traditional lines in about a remote a setting as you can find.
I'm going to monitor this thread for sure and I'd be interested to see how wrong I am.

Thanks, Chris. It might not be much of a thread. My guess is that there is only a handful of people interested in this. I stumbled upon the area yesterday, got myself excited and was up googling until midnight and again at 5am reading about the area. The only people I found out in the Sand Dunes were a few conservation workers who were suspicious of my presence, at first. Rock Springs is such an undesirable place to live, that I feel land conservation and development of recreation could combat social problems here. But... enough soap boxing! I'd love to explore the climbing down here but am not sure I can "rope" anyone else into it. How is the rock in Adobe Town? There are millions of acres out there - I still believe! Thank you so much for the beta!!!

Are you living out there now? I liked Rock Springs while I was there. Not bad as far as mining towns go. That said, land conservation would be particularly anathema to a population that only lives there for mineral and energy extraction.
The rec center is nice, theres a good sushi place surprisingly.
I've never been to Adobe Town. I looked it up and it appears its more of the same chossy mud piles typical of the red desert. It's something like 90 minutes to Flaming Gorge. If I were you, i'd probably just make the 2-hour drive to Lander. The climbing is excellent and the town is pretty cool.

I work down here a few days a week and am done fairly early in the afternoon. I was hoping to have some after work adventures. Unfortunately, I don't share your thoughts about RS. There's not much here for me.

Paul S · · Fruita, CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 820

I know several of the towers off of I-80 right around Green River have been climbed. It's been awhile since I've been there, but by the west most exit of the town I believe there were some bolt ladders up some small towers right off of I-80. I grew up in Green River and I remember seeing climbers once on The Kissing Couple, south of I-80 between Green River and Rock Springs. That was before I started climbing and I've always been interested in going back someday to check it out. My guess is it's more aid climbing than anything else. I'd be curious to hear what you find!

Oh, its definitely a hole. I travel a lot for work, to towns and cities of all shapes and sizes. I've been to so many worse places than RS. Honestly, if the town has a good rec center, cheap lodging, and good options for food, I tend to view it favorably. When compared to Rawlins, Kemmerer, Evanston and Green River, its a shimmering city in the hill. Most of the people I encountered were pretty nice, but you're right on there isn't much to do there. That's why I went home to salt lake every weekend.

William Kramer · · Kemmerer, WY · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 935

Rock Springs is a pit. Not much for good rock in this corner of the state, I have some short little crags up here in Kemmerer I have been working on, but rock quality is poor. Lander is close though, as is the Uintas, and the granite boulder fields between Farson and Pinedale have a lot to offer, mostly bouldering, but there are some short routes in both the Galaxy and Stonehenge. I've heard rumor of bolts on top of Boar's Tusk, but I have no first hand knowledge, I try to avoid the whole Rock Springs area in general.

hill billygoat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 85

The boar's tusk is a pretty cool adventure - but do it for the experience, not the climbing. The rock quality is terrible and there is really only one "pitch" as you can scramble most of the way up. No gear and no bolts on top - we were able to sling something to rap.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Red Desert WY"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started