Mountain Project Logo

How hard to work and live in Squamish as an American?

Original Post
t.ferguson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 95

Hey there,

I am a US citizen and have completely fallen in love with Squamish- the town and the climbing. I know that I can apply for a work visa and get all of the paperwork done, my question is- what is the likelihood I would actually get hired- particularly on the lower end of the job spectrum. I would likely be looking to work in any position available- food service, retail clerk, you name it. I have worked for several years as a multi pitch guide and have a good resume in the outdoor education field, but I wouldn't want to count on getting hired over a Canadian by any of the companies that base out of Squamish.

Anyone have any experience/input?

Cheers,

Tess

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

If I didn't know anyone there (which I don't), I would call the chamber of commerce in Squamish, if there is one, and call some of the bigger private employers (hotels, grocery stores, department stores). "Do you hire Americans with a work visa?"

Can't hurt to try that.

bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 3,065

very good in the summer, especially if you have a car (work in whistler)

tourism and the service industry is pretty big ... foreign folks get hired all the time for service jobs

;)

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

It will be difficult unless you A, have money or B, have a job offer. Even then Americans don't get work visa or their version of a green card as easy as other countries.

The good thing is you can visit Squamish for six months on a tourist visa...

I used to own a condo in the upper village of Whistler. We planned to retire there. We also planned to park our nest egg in a Canadian bank. This would have granted us citizenship.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "How hard to work and live in Squamish as an Ame…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started