Mountain Project Logo

Academic survey on climbing habits

Original Post
Colleol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Hi,
I am Luca an Italian student in the process of writing my master thesis in information technology. I am currently involved in a double degree program between the university of Trento (Italy) and the Aalto University (Finland).
I am looking for insights in the sport of climbing. Could you please help me filling in this small survey of 14 simple questions?
I would really appreciate it, thank you very much. I hope this is the correct section and I apologize if I did not presented in the dedicated section, but I were not able to find it.

Link to the survey:
Link has been removed

Thank you for you help, as i promise this is the results summary:
Results

khalifornia · · Colorado · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Pretty quick and easy survey. I would have worded some questions and answers differently, but I'm a stickler for survey design. Can you share what specific project/thesis you are working on?

CliffRobbins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

+1 quick survey

good luck with your project!

Hi, I would certainly share my idea, but at the moment I am in the process of validating it so you if would not mind I will share it as soon was I start to receive enough answers. I am worried about influencing the results. You know people are always kind and always try to encourage you.

I also forgot to mention that at the end I would insert a link with the survey results, I do not know if other could be interested in the same topic. However, people like you are spending their time for helping me. I think they should know the results.

Aaron Liebling · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 947

I found it unanswerable as written:

"What is the most important thing you check when you plan a climbing?"

What kind of a useful selection can I make when I can only select one of weather and equipment? Both are critical - it's impossible to say one is "most important".

Considering the other options are things like "availability of a professional guide", maybe it's a language usage thing? Does "plan a climbing" mean four months ahead, right before I leave for a trip or at the base of the route? The "most important" thing to check is different at different stages.

@aliebling I will start saying thank you for your time and now I explain my point of view on this question.

Probably it will be more clear saying "what is the most important thing you check when you plan a climbing?" I know lots of answers are good, but I do not want to waste people time so I ask for only one it is just up to you to decide which one, and they I will analyse the result.
Using a really stupid example in a similar question in the car context, what would be the most important thing you check in your car when you plan a trip? Gasoline, Brakes or Steering wheel functionality. I would say gasoline, I check the other two only once in a year and a qualified person do it form me. If something happen I can only recognise their are broken. While with no gasoline I am not even able to start it, so why do I need a steering wheel. In the survey case for me is whether if it is raining I do not need the equipment, I will check it next time when i really use it. While for my friend is the availability of a professional guide, he knows that the guide will check the rest. Finally, another expert said you know I check the equipment and I go, then if it is raining I avoid climbing and simply hike it does not mater.

Instead, for planning it really depends, in my experience experts that climbs the Everest prepare it a year before it, people that go on the mountain on average a week before and people that go to the gym do not simply plan it, so it is up to you. I cannot use more than 15 questions, thus some aspects are up to you.

Any way you are right some questions could be formulated in a better way, but consider that I am a tech guy not a psychologist and neither a marketing person. I am doing my thesis, and what I am looking for is validating my ideas. A good survey requires at least a month with several involved persons. While I am alone, and what I looking for is simply failing as fast as possible if I have to fail, or confirm my idea and move on the next stage.

Dustin Stotser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 371

I took the survey, but I can't shake the feeling that many of the questions were loaded, perhaps unintentionally. You stated that you wished for people to make their own priority in answer choice, but you interjected emotion in seemingly negative ways in several answers. This would directly influence choice, in my opinion.

jonathan hemlock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0
Dustin Stotser wrote:I took the survey, but I can't shake the feeling that many of the questions were loaded, perhaps unintentionally. You stated that you wished for people to make their own priority in answer choice, but you interjected emotion in seemingly negative ways in several answers. This would directly influence choice, in my opinion.
agreed.

And in your car example, maybe what you mean is "what is the most common" or "frequent" thing you check. I certainly check the gas more often, but I would say brakes are more important. If I can't steer, I can at least stop, and if I run out of gas I can walk and get more. Maybe you want that ambiguity with the word "important" intentionally a part of the survey, or maybe it's partly lost in translation.

Good luck with the thesis!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Academic survey on climbing habits"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started