Mountain Project Logo

Replace this tricam?

Original Post
Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

I recently bought this, haven't used it yet, and just noticed some fraying on both left and right edges of the sling (see right in the pic).

Should I return and replace it or is it okay?

--- Invalid image id: 111815241 ---

Alexander Parrish · · Prescott, Arizona · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 95

If there is not a physical cut into the webbing I would call it good. It's just "fuzz"

Robert Cort · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 800
RMS wrote:I recently bought this, haven't used it yet, and just noticed some fraying on both left and right edges of the sling (see right in the pic). Should I return and replace it or is it okay?
Somebody's gonna say it, so it might as well be me: Send it to me, I'll dispose of it properly for you.
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Alexander Parrish wrote:If there is not a physical cut into the webbing I would call it good. It's just "fuzz"
Agreed, it's just typical fuzziness. Tensile strength is now only 99.8% of new.

If it makes you feel better, breakage of the sling is not the typical failure mode of Tricams. The pins bust out of the piece; that's why the small ones are rated lower for their "nut-like" placement mode compared to the "cam-like" mode.
Fortuna Wolf · · Durham, NC · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 20

wear it on a rack for one day and it'll be fuzzier than that.

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3
Robert Cort wrote: Somebody's gonna say it, so it might as well be me: Send it to me, I'll dispose of it properly for you.
Lol, I was kind of expecting, and hoping, that would be the first reply.

Thanks for the replies, all. My gut said it was okay, but I wanted to hear from others.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Replace this tricam?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started