Mountain Project Logo

Basic Katahdin info needed

Original Post
hoosierclimber Baker · · Huntington, IN · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0

I'm looking to climb Mt. Katahdin in July. I want to experience the Knife Edge in the process. Is it possible to climb Katahdin in a day, car to summit to car? Any suggestions on routes? Thank you in advance!

Ian Dorko · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 110

it's definitely doable if you're experienced moving fast in 3rd and 4th class terrain. Both the Armadillo and the Flatiron end on the knife edge, and then from there it's straightforward to go tag the summit and then do the knife edge descent back down to the roaring brook parking lot.

Thanks, Ian. If we decide to spend the night, do you need a permit? Are they hard to get in BSP? Do the trailheads have adequate parking?

Ron Birk · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 4,263

Do you mean hiking or technical climbing? If hiking, there are multiple options of where to hike from and they're all very doable for most hikers to do in a day. They do however limit number of cars each day and the place is very popular on nice weekends.

Check here for more info and reservations:
baxterstateparkauthority.com/

Thanks, Ron. Definitely talking hiking. My buddy I'm going with is not a climber.

In that case you wouldn't want to do either of the routes I suggested, they're both technical climbing routes.

For hiking I'd recommend parking at roaring brook, hiking to chimney pond, take the cathedral trail to the summit, hike the knifes edge and then back to roaring brook on the helon taylor trail.

4000footers.com/katahdin_ma…

have fun!

Ian, per your last message, is that doableven in a day?

AHP · · New Paltz, NY · Joined May 2013 · Points: 10

Ian's suggestion is a good route and is totally doable in a day, but it'll be a longish day. Try to get a site at Roaring Brook so you don't have to drive somewhere else after you're done. If you hike fast, start as early as you can so you don't get slowed down by less fit people, or families jamming the trail up. There is a morning rush from Roaring Brook towards Chimney Pond in the AM.

AHP hit the nail on the head, it's doable in a day but it'll likely be a long one.

definitely the most bang for your buck though if you only have a day or so in the area.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
hoosierclimber wrote:My name is [redacted] and my number is [redacted]
You might want to rethink posting your name with your phone number in a public discussion forum. That sort of thing is better handled via private message.

Thanks, Marc. I haven't been on here much and didn't realize I could message directly. I'll go that route instead. Would you mind posting a screen shot of where on here of where personal messages will appear for me when somebody emails me? Cheers!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
hoosierclimber wrote:Thanks, Marc. I haven't been on here much and didn't realize I could message directly. I'll go that route instead. Would you mind posting a screen shot of where on here of where personal messages will appear for me when somebody emails me? Cheers!
It goes to the email address you used when you opened an MP account.

Ok, thanks!

yeshe parks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 20

I agree with Ian's suggestion. It'd be no problem car to car in a day. Depending on where you are driving from it could be a pretty long one. Getting a campsite at roaring brook isn't too hard. There are reservation opportunities on BSPs website. If you go that route, Hamlin ridge to Baxter peak to knife edge and then Helon Taylor is a real nice way to see the north and south basin. That route tacks a couple more miles on but worth it for sure.

Baxter a State park has maps, trail distances and reservation info. One of my favorite places. Have fun!

Thanks, Yes. Have you spent a lot of time on Katahdin?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Basic Katahdin info needed"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started