Mountain Project Logo

Commuting to red rocks?

Original Post
Derek Wehrle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 50

Hey guys, going to Vegas this week and having no luck finding a partner. I want to at least boulder and will bring a pad and probably a rack just in case, but I'm wondering how possible/common it is to take an uber or taxi out there? Any info that could be useful? I know there is good bouldering just before the loop entrance.
Fyi only asking because I'm flying there and don't want to rent a car.

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

Is it feasible? Sure. Will it be expensive? Absolutely. Assuming you spend $15-20 each way, you're way better off renting a car for about $25/day. It will be cheaper AND more convenient.

If you're dead set against renting, then the cheapest option is to Uber/Lyft/taxi to the edge of town (Charleston Blvd and Desert Foothills), then hitchhike the rest of the way out Charleston from there. You shouldn't have to wait more than a couple minutes. Every single car going that direction will be passing Calico Basin and the Red Rock Loop.

Even so, it's still going to be a hassle to get around. Distances between crags are significant. Rent a car. You'll be glad you did.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Derek Wehrle wrote:Hey guys, going to Vegas this week and having no luck finding a partner. I want to at least boulder and will bring a pad and probably a rack just in case, but I'm wondering how possible/common it is to take an uber or taxi out there? Any info that could be useful? I know there is good bouldering just before the loop entrance. Fyi only asking because I'm flying there and don't want to rent a car.
Rent a car. Vegas is one of the cheapest cities for car rental, even at the airport.

Thanks for the input guys. My only concern is I am under 25 so I'm not sure what extra fees I might have to pay, and if that would outweigh the price for an uber, since I'll only have maybe 2 afternoons to climb. I'll look into rental prices at the airport

matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155

It is a pretty far distance between camping and climbing. You could likely hitchhike between camping and climbing but that might be a real pain with a pad.

. . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

Hmmmm...

I don't personally get cell signal at calico. Of course your results will vary with differences in phone hardware and carrier.

but unless you know exactly where to stand, you might find yourself hiking damn near all the way back into town just to get enough signal to summon an uber back into town.

schaefer wrote:Hmmmm... I don't personally get cell signal at calico. Of course your results will vary with differences in phone hardware and carrier. but unless you know exactly where to stand, you might find yourself hiking damn near all the way back into town just to get enough signal to summon an uber back into town.
This is a super helpful reply thanks a ton, didn't even think of not having service to call a ride
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Commuting to red rocks?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started