Mountain Project Logo

SizeSquirrel - Climbing Shoe Sizing & Sales

Tim Sherry · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 551

Great idea for a site! Spreading the link around.

Eddie Ferrer · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 15
caughtinside wrote:This could be really helpful! Added my shoes. Is there a spot to add street shoe size, for reference?
No there isnt. I'm not sure this would be very helpful, since street shoe size varies quite a bit.
tsherry wrote:Great idea for a site! Spreading the link around.
Awesome! thanks!
sarcasm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 445

It's a good idea, but the site isn't working too well as of yet.
I've had a lot of trouble over the years in regards to my shoe size. I have large feet (size 13 or 13+ street shoe) and this means I can wear anything from 13-15 in climbing shoes, and sometimes the size 15 doesn't even fit. Now I find your site and I get all excited but yet when I go to add a shoe and try to add a size 47 mythos, I see that the highest option is 46.5. And then when I try to add a size 14 stonelands, I see that 13.5 is the highest option.
Any plans to fix this type of thing? Not to mention when I just enter 46.5 and 13.5 and then look for a shoe it says that it finds no match. I hope you get this working because I would definitely use it, especially if it proves to actually work ie-the shoes fit like the site says they should.

sarcasm wrote:It's a good idea, but the site isn't working too well as of yet. I've had a lot of trouble over the years in regards to my shoe size. I have large feet (size 13 or 13+ street shoe) and this means I can wear anything from 13-15 in climbing shoes, and sometimes the size 15 doesn't even fit. Now I find your site and I get all excited but yet when I go to add a shoe and try to add a size 47 mythos, I see that the highest option is 46.5. And then when I try to add a size 14 stonelands, I see that 13.5 is the highest option. Any plans to fix this type of thing? Not to mention when I just enter 46.5 and 13.5 and then look for a shoe it says that it finds no match. I hope you get this working because I would definitely use it, especially if it proves to actually work ie-the shoes fit like the site says they should.
Thanks for the feedback! I've added some larger sizing to accommodate bigger shoes, so you should be able to add your shoes now.

Unfortunately, because your shoe sizes are so rare and the site uses other peoples shoe sizing to recommend shoes it might take a while until we can get you matches. But stay tuned, I'm working on improving the match system, so maybe itll work better for you in the future
John Gassel · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,388

Awesome idea. Just added 5 of my shoes on there.

Would love to see it cover mountaineering boots in the future too.

Tim Sherry · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 551
John Gassel wrote:Awesome idea. Just added 5 of my shoes on there. Would love to see it cover mountaineering boots in the future too.
Good idea for an area of expansion. Does something similar exist for ski boots.

Could also have a field for what street shoe size we wear.
Glass Tupperware · · Atlanta · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 45
Eddie Ferrer wrote: Thanks for the feedback! I've added some larger sizing to accommodate bigger shoes, so you should be able to add your shoes now. Unfortunately, because your shoe sizes are so rare and the site uses other peoples shoe sizing to recommend shoes it might take a while until we can get you matches. But stay tuned, I'm working on improving the match system, so maybe itll work better for you in the future
Alternatively, you could use size prediction algorithms that extrapolate based on trends you've seen in other sizes. For instance if people who wear size 40 in la sportiva use size 41 scarpas, you could apply that same trend size 46 sportivas. It sounds like your current recommendation technique might require a prohibitive amount of data.

Another cool option (maybe the site already allows this) is to follow specific users who have similar shoe preferences to us. Then we can use the raw data to make our own predictions.

Would you mind elaborating on how the website currently recommends shoes?
Glass Tupperware wrote: Alternatively, you could use size prediction algorithms that extrapolate based on trends you've seen in other sizes. For instance if people who wear size 40 in la sportiva use size 41 scarpas, you could apply that same trend size 46 sportivas. It sounds like your current recommendation technique might require a prohibitive amount of data. Another cool option (maybe the site already allows this) is to follow specific users who have similar shoe preferences to us. Then we can use the raw data to make our own predictions. Would you mind elaborating on how the website currently recommends shoes?
Yep, I had already thought about trying to extrapolate sizing. Definitely a feature I want to add in the future.

It would be pretty easy to get the user who shares the most shoe models with you. The site already does a version of this, giving the user who shares models and sizes. But yeah I can see how that can be useful, allowing the user to make his own predictions.

Right now the site does very simple matching. So it considers a match if a user has the same size as you, and it does that for all your shoes and weighs the results accordingly. This I think is the most accurate method, but you're right, it requires a lot of data. I plan to add more matching algorithms to improve matching accordingly.
Luke R · · Athens, GA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 704

Awesome idea, and a long time coming honestly.

One thing I would like/hope for would be to be able to correlate shoe fit when your existing shoes don't fit.

Example:
I own Katana Laces that work well enough for me at 42.5, but I should have bought them in 43s.

It would be cool if your setup would take that into consideration (like I could claim my size is 42.5, but click a box that says "tight fit" or "runs small" or something. I'd think that would also improve accuracy once you really have this up and running).

Luke R 84 wrote:Awesome idea, and a long time coming honestly. One thing I would like/hope for would be to be able to correlate shoe fit when your existing shoes don't fit. Example: I own Katana Laces that work well enough for me at 42.5, but I should have bought them in 43s. It would be cool if your setup would take that into consideration (like I could claim my size is 42.5, but click a box that says "tight fit" or "runs small" or something. I'd think that would also improve accuracy once you really have this up and running).
Thanks for the feedback. This goes with the previous suggestion in this thread of adding a fit quality to the shoes and taking that into account. I will add this in the near future, it's a great idea. So besides you'll be able to add a set of descriptors to the fit of each shoe you add in your profile. For example: "Painfully small" "All day comfort" "Mildly uncomfortable" Or something along those lines.
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Hmm...drop down menus aren't working on my phone browser. Do you have to register to use it?

TheIceManCometh · · Albany, NY · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 621

Very cool. Do you include ice climbing boots? I can't figure out how to add a shoe that's not already there.

Bryan · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 462

Yeah the drop down menus aren't working on my phone either. Cool idea! I registered and will pull it up on a full computer sometime. Thanks for the app!

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

do you include scale of 1 to 10 for foot stink foul stench?

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

I think it would be advantageous to have profile categories for actual length, width (forefoot and heel), and toe arrangement (see pic). All of these have large impacts on fit. More data will equal better predictions.

Limpingcrab DJ · · Middle of CA · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,055

YES JASON!!!!! ^^^^^^^

I was about to post the same picture and suggestion. Shape of your toes (above), shape of your foot, and flat/normal/high arches make a WAY bigger difference in comfort and fit than actual size (for me at least).

Having a graphic to click like the one above, when you make a profile, would help standardize it.

I'd be more interested in seeing what type of shoe people prefer with my same foot or toe shape.

F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 1,065

Excellent idea. With a more robust user base, this will be infinitely preferable to triangulating a fit from within the dark forest of MP forums.

Perhaps add a descriptor for how much a shoe stretches?

Limpingcrab DJ · · Middle of CA · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,055

Selecting toe shape, like jason's picture, and foot shape, like the picture below, when you make a profile would be really really really REALLY (really) seriously awesome

It seems like when someone recommends one shoe over another it comes down to how well it fits the shape of their foot.

Ted Pinson wrote:Hmm...drop down menus aren't working on my phone browser. Do you have to register to use it?
They're working for me. Can you tell me what phone you have? You don't have to register to do a basic search.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "SizeSquirrel - Climbing Shoe Sizing & Sales"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started