Mountain Project Logo

SizeSquirrel - Climbing Shoe Sizing & Sales

Original Post
Eddie Ferrer · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 15

SizeSquirrel;

What is it? 

SizeSquirrel uses crowd sourced data to find the correct size for climbing shoes you DON'T own.

Why? Allows you to buy climbing shoes online used or new with the confidence that they will fit! Also allows you to create a profile of the climbing shoes you own so you can remember what size you wear or share them with other people.

I need your help! Please signup. Since it uses crowd sourced data its only as good as the number of people who signup and add shoes to their profiles. I will send free stickers to the first 100 accounts that sign up. 

Also please like us on Facebook: 

www.facebook.com/sizesquirrel;

Got any comments? Suggestions? Found a Bug? Please let me know, I'm interested on hearing them.

Derek Strittmatter · · AUSTIN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 20

Great idea for a website! Will definitely be using this when buying new shoes online.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

Suggestion -
In order to make this a bit more scientific shoe models and sizes should be correlated with foot shape. Easiest would be to take a photo while standing of standard size sheet of paper, do transform to account for geometric/camera distortions, obtain foot shape/size, and compare to user's feedback on his current and previous shoe selection.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

Added a few shoes. Rating of 1-5, what am I rating? Comfort, performance, etc.

I get internal server error when I click "find my size".

Michael.P wrote:the "register now" link directs me to: eddie.sizesquirrel.internal… i used my elite hacking skills to realize its probably supposed to go sizesquirrel.com/login_register which worked for me
Whoops! Fixed. Thanks for catching that
Christopher Kelly · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 443

Love the idea. Would have saved me a lot of grief over the last couple of years. I added my profile and a couple of shoes. Also getting the "internal server" error when I click on "find my size."

Richard Murray · · Conway · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 95

Just for climbing shoes, or can you add mountaineering / ice boots as well?

Also, could probably find an array of different foot shapes that people can match themselves to.

Jason Todd wrote:Added a few shoes. Rating of 1-5, what am I rating? Comfort, performance, etc. I get internal server error when I click "find my size".
Sorry about that. I also fixed this bug.
Josh Kornish · · Whitefish, MT · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 800

Really nice work, Eddie! The site aesthetics are attractive and I think you have a great thing going. I look forward to adding my past shoes and using the tools to size future shoes from other brands. Your logo is rad dude!

Rich Murray wrote:Just for climbing shoes, or can you add mountaineering / ice boots as well? Also, could probably find an array of different foot shapes that people can match themselves to.
Get out of my head! Yeah the idea is to eventually expand it to mountaineering boots as well.

Hmm I'm not sure that foot shapes would be much better. It will already give you matching based on individual shoes. So if you have a weirdly shaped foot but Shoe X fits really well, you can find matching sizing based on that shoe that fits your shape well...
Josh Kornish wrote:Really nice work, Eddie! The site aesthetics are attractive and I think you have a great thing going. I look forward to adding my past shoes and using the tools to size future shoes from other brands. Your logo is rad dude!
Thanks! I appreciate it
Glass Tupperware · · Atlanta · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 45

Cool, just entered most of my recent shoes. Hope you can get enough data soon!

Mike Kane · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 280

You should add an edit shoe button. Nice site ;)

Mike Kane wrote:You should add an edit shoe button. Nice site ;)
You can edit the shoes you've added to your profile by clicking "Edit"
Dave Baker · · Wiltshire · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 303

Minor bug. I just registered, and at the "you don't have any shoes" page I added my shoes, but the message remained at the top of my list of shoes until I navigated away and back to the page.

I added commentary to my shoes, but perhaps it should be unified into the data set of how tight the shoes fit. For example, I have the same shoe in "gym tight" and "all day comfortable" so if I told you I wore shoe X in size Y it doesn't tell you all the information available.

Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

Cool idea. Couple thoughts -
1) Clarify what the 1-5 scale is (1 worst, 5 best?).
2) Consider adding something about foot shape in the profile and adjusting the algorithms. With a big enough data set this would happen automatically, but it might help as you grow. Hard to know how good people are at assessing their foot shape, though.

James Donigan · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 20

if not a foot shape, maybe the size and how that fits tight vs comfortable, flat vs curled toes etc.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

Hey Eddie, great idea! I just added a few shoes there. I would add an option for people to describe the fit of the shoes they have and their desired fit. Take a TC pro, some people might size them with a slight knuckle of their big toe for thin edging on single pitch, others might wear socks for a long day. I know I can wear a 40.5 or 41 in them depending on what I want to use it for.

Also it would be nice to be able to enter the *actual* length of your foot in centimeters, not your street shoe size since that varies so much between different manufacturers.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support.

I understand that everyone wants more precise fit/sizing. I'll think about this some more.

I think the best suggestion I've seen on here is just to add a field to the shoes describing how they fit. (Super Tight, All day comfort, etc).

Kereinha · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 10

Great idea! I created a profile and added a couple of shoes. I second the idea that you should tie in an objective foot measurement into the system (length in cm). Also, maybe you could add check boxes for how the shoes are sized. You would probably only need 2...one for performance, one for comfort. Then, when searching for shoes, you could give one recommended size for "comfort" and one for "performance".

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270
Eddie Ferrer wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions and support. I understand that everyone wants more precise fit/sizing. I'll think about this some more. I think the best suggestion I've seen on here is just to add a field to the shoes describing how they fit. (Super Tight, All day comfort, etc).
agreed. I'd rather people describe the way the shoe fits. For instance. I wear a 9.5 and 10 5.10 team and I'd put "tight sport fit" on the 10s and "super tight bouldering fit" on the 9.5s. This allows more nuance than a scale
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "SizeSquirrel - Climbing Shoe Sizing & Sales"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.