Mountain Project Logo

I love helmets!

matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155
patto wrote:Bike helmets are perform better than climbing helmets for many types of impacts.
However, it poorly protects from rock fall. In most climbing areas, think this is the greatest danger.
Bill Shubert · · Lexington, MA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 55

I might laugh at you if I saw you climbing in a bike helmet.

But what do you care? I'm a dork. Go ahead and wear the helmet anyway.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

A climber that cares about what other people think?

Le Gasp!

Bill C. · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 110

I did it the other way!

When I broke my bike helmet I used my climbing helmet to ride around town until I got another one.

Brian E · · Western North Carolina · Joined Mar 2005 · Points: 363

I would definitely laugh at you, then I would point out how ridiculous you look to all of my friends. This would surely instigate an avalanche of laughing, finger pointing, and snickering by literally every single climber at the crag. A large group of attractive young women wearing tight clothing would inevitably start making comments about how small your penis must be if you have to wear a bike helmet instead of one designed for climbing. At this point hundred of climbers would gather around you, throwing rocks at your stupid bike helmet to see if it actually protects your noggin from rockfall. All of this would be filmed and would instantly go viral. You would be an internet sensation, known to millions as the stupid, freak bike helmet-wearer, and every time you go out in public strangers would say things to you like, "Where's your tricycle, helmet-boy?" This would understandably cause you to experience intense feelings of depression and isolation. You would turn to drugs and alcohol to cope with the searing emotional pain caused by the foolish choice you made to wear a bike helmet climbing. Time passes. Days turn into weeks, to years, to decades. Now, as you enter the twilight of your life, you look back at the very point where things unraveled. You reflect on the turning point where you crossed to the dark side. To that fateful day YOU DECIDED TO WEAR A BIKE HELMET CLIMBING!!!!!!

Cody Nottingham · · Avon, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

Ahahaha this is great I'm loving all the answers keep them coming This one really got me:

On a slightly related note, out-climb them, and the next time you go out there, they may all be wearing bike helmets, swearing that it helps them send harder routes.

Indeed I don't really care what others think, I'm the cross country mtb rider that wore padded spandex and a cycling kit to a downhill park full of guys in baggy shorts and moto jerseys, the lifties and locals had a good laugh at me and threw some friendly banter my way. Oh and I also wear crocs at the crag when I'm not climbing so talk away but hey it's what I'm comfortable with.

Good point on the vents being large, but I think it will be sufficient for the majority of stuff and may have to do for now. Honestly rockfall *shouldn't* be a big issue, only one "Pit" area positioned in between two walls that rockfall is highly likely, but I would prefer to always wear a helmet anyway. May have to get a profile pic crushing with the cycling helmet

Cheers!

tim · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 507

Rock climbing helmets don't look any cooler than bike helmets. The super light bright orange ones look ridiculous.

F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 995

I wore a bike helmet for my first two years of climbing. I removed the plastic visor and slapped a couple Metolius stickers on it so that my blossoming outdoor "street cred" would not be sullied. :-P

I'm always happy to meet a new partner and see them wearing a brain bucket. Keep up the good work, and have fun out there.

Hey fritz nice idea on the sticker haha
that was a super encouraging response, you sound like someone I would like to climb with. Cheers!

Todd R · · Vansion, CO / WY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 40

I cannot believe how backwards everyone's priorities are here.

It's Style, Sexiness, Safety.

Safety Third, people...

patto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 25
Todd Ra wrote:I cannot believe how backwards everyone's priorities are here. It's Style, Sexiness, Safety. Safety Third, people...
So motorbike helmets for all?
Henry Holub · · Altus, OK · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 705

I actually circumvented this one for my son from the other direction. I bought him a climbing helmet to use while riding his tricycle. Momma wasn't going to let him go climbing without a "real" climbing helmet and then said we needed to buy him a trike and he needed a helmet for riding it. Win me

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

I used to wear a bike helmet for trad, it's a good thing i live in the UK and can get a super light foam helmet for £20, sweet deal available to any one in europe.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
tim wrote:Rock climbing helmets don't look any cooler than bike helmets. The super light bright orange ones look ridiculous.
MINE IS ORANGE!!

orange lid
Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 9,999

I think posting POV shots of your "helmet" violates Mountain Project's terms of service.

Mocco · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 5

All this discussion about helmets is moot. Clint Eastwood has already set the bar for both function and style. Keep yer noggin safe. Wear whatever the heck ya want. If someone gives ya grief, then you'll just have to waste 'em a little.

Hemlock

CSG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

I used to wear a big black snowboard helmet for maybe a year or two. My friends called it my "space balls helmet". One time as I was racking up for a route, a random passerby did a doubletake and stopped me, out of genuine concern, to make sure I was qualified to lead the route. Mostly just my friends laughed at me though.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Josh Janes wrote:I think posting POV shots of your "helmet" violates Mountain Project's terms of service.
I thought that was a doll-sized helmet held in their fingertips.

Seb are you on the shitter in your helmet pic?!
Josh James, please see guideline #1

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Cody Nottingham wrote:Seb are you on the shitter in your helmet pic?! Josh James, please see guideline #1

What?! It's warm in here
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "I love helmets!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started