Mountain Project Logo

Dome Rock and Needles

Original Post
Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

Does anyone know when/if Dome rock/Needles access road is usually open and snow free?

andrew thomas · · Orcas island · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 105

Last I checked Dome Rock was snow free, didn't get a look at the needles

I think the roads usually open memorial day weekend but with no snow up there maybe they'll open them up earlier again

call these guys

Kern River Ranger District
(760) 376-3781

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Dome Rock normally opens up sooner.... maybe a 1 mile walk if the dirt road is still closed.

The correct jurisdiction for Dome and the Needles is:

Tule River Ranger District
Springville, CA
(559)-539-2607

HWY CA190 is the paved road that passes the dirt roads and the dirt road for the Needles is 21S05....

And just to get it up for the Needles and the new GB .... look at this link:

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=103045&tn=120

I have looked at 90% of it and its going to be tremendous .....

Chad Namolik · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 2,905

For Needles: the road is always open, they just lock the gate. So you've got a 4-5 mile hike in when gate is locked;
~2 mile hike when gate is unlocked.

Based on the light snowpack I'm seeing at 7000' a bit north of the Needles, its probably mostly snow free.

A mountain bike ride in when gate is locked is convenient.
Let's everybody call the Ranger Station and demand that road be opened! jk.

Really looking forward to that new book!

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

Lots of times 190 doesn't open until Memorial Day, though the road is often snow free much sooner. If it is gated, from the north, its about a mile or so of pavement to get to the dirt road leading to Dome Rock. Though I've ridden both the road leading into the Needles and the trail to the rocks, that'd be a lot of leg work before the brisk hike to the rocks. People have done it, but it'd feel long especially at the end of the day.

Chad Namolik · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 2,905
Fat Dad wrote:Lots of times 190 doesn't open until Memorial Day, though the road is often snow free much sooner. If it is gated, from the north, its about a mile or so of pavement to get to the dirt road leading to Dome Rock. Though I've ridden both the road leading into the Needles and the trail to the rocks, that'd be a lot of leg work before the brisk hike to the rocks. People have done it, but it'd feel long especially at the end of the day.
Oh yeah, I meant open outside the winter closure, which is what Nov.-May? Mid May on a drought year. Memorial Day or later on a big snow year. I just wanted to clarify that Road 21S05 doesn't close, you'll just have a longer walk in. I've always wanted to go on a backpacking type trip in there for a few days when its closed. Probably super quiet.

Anybody know if the camping limit is 28 days Natl. Forest rules at the campground closet to the climbs. Or 14 days? Is there a name for that CG?

And I'm thinking if there is a star system in the new book, there's going to be a lot of 5star routes, and even 0/1 star routes are going to be good. :)
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Chad Namolik wrote:Forest rules at the campground closet to the climbs. Or 14 days? Is there a name for that CG?
Quaking Aspen.
fs.usda.gov/recarea/sequoia…

recreation.gov/camping/quak…
Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

Guy might know this, but I don't know if there's piped water at the campsites near the end of the road. I have camped in the saddle at the base of Magician, but that is waterless. Just keep that in mind if you plan on hiking in and staying for any length of time. It would be REALLY quiet though. I lost a shoe out there and mt. biked in just before the first snows in November to look for it, and I was the only one out there. A rare treat. Too cold to climb, but the quiet and setting were just awesome.

Kevin Piarulli · · Redmond, OR · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 1,683

IIRC there is no water at the campground at the end of the road, and the ponderosa store on 190 was selling water for some exorbitant price. BYOW

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

No water at the roads end "CG".... only a pit toilet. Bring your own water and TP. No camping limit at roads ends.

Same with the camping at Dome Rock.

You can score water at Quaking Aspen, and that is a legit campground, you pay and your days are counted.

man o man I cant wait.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Dome Rock and Needles"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started