Mountain Project Logo

I have caught montane lying about product specs, what should i do?

Original Post
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

i have all ready caught montane lying before i messaged them on twitter about me saying that their ultra alpine 38-5 doesn't weight 550 grams and they raised it to 610 grams (i still think they are lying)
montane.co.uk/en/men/equipm…
so i have caught them flat out lying numerous times, is there anything i can do with this?
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Buy from someone else? It's probably not worth pursuing some kind of charges, complaint, etc., but that's up to you.

Just let your dollars speak for you by taking your business elsewhere.

FrankPS wrote:Buy from someone else? It's probably not worth pursuing some kind of charges, complaint, etc., but that's up to you. Just let your dollars speak for you by taking your business elsewhere.
I think once the reviews start coming out they will get in quite a bit of hot water, never have I seen such blatant lying by a company though.
Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392

Next thing you know SoIll is going to be claiming that what they are making are actual climbing shoes.

Tim Zander · · Breckenridge, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 30
that guy named seb wrote: I think once the reviews start coming out they will get in quite a bit of hot water, never have I seen such blatant lying by a company though.
That it's 10% heavier? Honestly that's pretty normal.
Tim Zander wrote: That it's 10% heavier? Honestly that's pretty normal.
I'm still pretty sure that the listed weight is to low for what it is, combine that with them flat out lying about the fabric and i don't think many people will be happy. They also lie about the reinforcement fibers in the X-pac, montane say dyneema the manufacturer says polyester.
nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525
that guy named seb wrote: is there anything i can do with this?
probably should make a long blog post about the state of the climbing community
that guy named seb wrote: I'm still pretty sure that the listed weight is to low for what it is, combine that with them flat out lying about the fabric and i don't think many people will be happy. They also lie about the reinforcement fibers in the X-pac, montane say dyneema the manufacturer says polyester.
In that case the whole industry is f-ed.
cilogear.com/materials.html

"Dimension Polyant VX21:
Found in the Wings of the Center Panel:
75L, 60L, 45L and 40L / 40B WorkSacks, as well as the bottom sides of the 45L, and the bottom of the 20L.
210d Hi Tenacity Nylon laminated in a five ply sandwich with dacron X-Pac for rip resistance and structural stability. This fabric is 200 psi waterproof."
Nathanael wrote: probably should make a long blog post about the state of the climbing community
haha, I agree. you sound like quite the blowhard
ChrisN · · Morro Bay, CA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 25

You took the time to find the maker of the fabric and contact them about it's construction? That seems a little excessive.

If you want to see a lying company, check out Volkswagen, Enron etc.

This perceived slight, if even true, pales in comparison.

ChrisN wrote:You took the time to find the maker of the fabric and contact them about it's construction? That seems a little excessive. If you want to see a lying company, check out Volkswagen, Enron etc. This perceived slight, if even true, pales in comparison.
I'm currently looking at making my own pack so i'm doing tons and tons of research coming up with patterns, working out the weight and cost of the finished product all before i even make it, so i started to familiarize my self with the weights and properties of lots of different fabrics and looking at lots of other companies to see what they are doing with their packs. So as i was searching through a dozen or so backpack manufacturers i came across montane's new pack and when you see something that defies all logic and previous knowledge of similiar laminates and textiles, all hours of research you have done, it's pretty weird to see some kind of crazy miracle fabric by a big outdoors company completely un-announced.
Any way if it was a magical miracle fabric i would totally have to find a way to get my self some of this fabric because it would be amazingly light and durable, the true holy grail of pack fabrics. That sir, is why i contacted the manufacturer.
Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

You should show them this video

https://youtu.be/cDkE238cIcw

Adam Burch wrote:You should show them this video
what a kunt
jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10
Adam Burch wrote:You should show them this video youtu.be/cDkE238cIcw
Can you screen shot the moment at 2:25 and make it your new profile pic? Look at those nuts!
HBTHREE · · ma · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 30

U spelled cunt wrong

Brendan Blanchard · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 590
that guy named seb wrote: what a kunt
He's mean! Let boycott him before his company gets off the ground! Who can I complain to about this?!
jason.cre wrote: Can you screen shot the moment at 2:25 and make it your new profile pic? Look at those nuts!
I feel objectified :'(
nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

That climb went horribly btw, i cant bare watching the whole video so i don't know if i say how it went, i'm awful on this granite, rounded weathered shit. Fucking dartmoor granite.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Cute accent, bloke.

FrankPS wrote:Cute accent, bloke.
u cheeky wanka
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "I have caught montane lying about product specs…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started