Mountain Project Logo

did anybody have their trad gear stolen in the last 2-3 months in the las vegas area?

Original Post
joseph ells · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

I ask because i recently purchased a gang of gear from some guy who claimed he was getting rid of it because he needed money. Dude seemed a little shady. Just let me know and if it is yours i would gladly give it back. Ill be checking the replies.

Ray Lovestead · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 108

bump

Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 455

How was said gear being advertised?

It was a word of mouth deal a friend of mine ran into him and mentioned he had clbimg gear for sale and needed money so my friend contacted me and we eventually meet he claimed he didn't have use for it and he got it from a unpaid storage untit.

scott e. tarrant · · Fort Collins · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 250

I had ALL of my gear stolen in June of 2015! I lost everything...dozens of cams, all passive gear, all biners / draws...all of my aid climbing gear...harnesses, shoes, ropes.... (all of my ski gear, camping gear, about a dozen fly rod, reels, thousands of dollars in tools...), an heirloom, family hunting rifle.... They raided my garage...never realized how vulnerable having everything I care about conveniently stored in totes, ready for the picking!
I'm not sure if it made it to Vegas (other than on trips with me ;-) but I'd be curious to see pics.
Thanks for posting!
Fingers crossed-
Scott

U have a email address ill send photos

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
joseph ells wrote:U have a email address ill send photos
Why don't you ask him to describe the type of gear? You could send me a photo and I could say, "Yes, that's it!"
Justin Brunson · · Tacoma WA · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 2,266
FrankPS wrote: Why don't you ask him to describe the type of gear? You could send me a photo and I could say, "Yes, that's it!"
Yup.
Caleb Mallory · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; PNW · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 425

Did anyone lose a bunch of gear in North Carolina? There's a listing on craiglists for a ton of gear that the seller seems to know little about and is wanting to sell as a whole. A pair of Koflach boots, Nepals, MSR snowshoes, etc.

Matt Kuehl · · Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,712

I encountered a women who's van was broken into a few months in Vegas (while she was inside!) and they stole a pack with all her climbing gear. Sport, trad gear, rope, harness shoes etc. If there is some women shoes in there it may be a good chance it's hers. I may have lost her contact info but I could try to dig deeper if it seems like a match.

JF1 · · Idaho · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 400

There was a event last year that was similar, but the climber had lost his storage unit due to lack of payment and someone bought it.

It took a little while for the climber to admit to it, so people were a bit riled up at first.

If you think it could belong to you or someone you know just shoot a message describing the gear. There are a few things you would know about it if it is yours. Again i will gladly give it back i would want someone to do the same for me. Id be sick if it happened to me

Jeff G · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,098
joseph ells wrote:If you think it could belong to you or someone you know just shoot a message describing the gear. There are a few things you would know about it if it is yours. Again i will gladly give it back i would want someone to do the same for me. Id be sick if it happened to me
That is an incredibly generous offer!
If you do give some gear back, I will donate money or a couple of good cams to help offset your loss.
scott e. tarrant · · Fort Collins · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 250

Thanks Joseph!
I lost +/- (Jeff G can probably add / better define the list as he's climbed with it for years! :-) 2 sets of BD C4 cams, a full set of Metolius cams, about 1 set of TCU's and C3's, a set of off-sets, a couple sets of nuts (BD + misc.), a set of peanuts, a set and a half of RP's, a few ooooold (1st gen!...rigid) friends, about 20 draws...Petzel, BD, etc...(some old enough that no smart person would climb with them), a couple BD harnesses, a Yates Big Wall harness, a few beaks and pins, a pair of BD aiders, a set of Petzel jugs, an A5 double ledge, an A5 single ledge, an A5 haul bag, a metolius mini pig, about a dozen alpine draws, a pair of testorassoas, mocosyms, newtons, (a few really old shoes, retired relics that were just keep sakes including my 1st pair of EB's!), a couple 60m ropes (please do not climb on them! They may not be safe!!!) a 60m static line.... If I think of more I'll let you know.
and if anyone comes across fly fishing gear, camping gear, skiing rigs, etc, I'd be happy to provide descriptions. A lot of the gear was pretty old (some Jeff refused to climb on ;-), and if marked it was usually with pink or red fingernail polish. I haven't climbed in several years so don't have the best memory of exactly what I had but it was accumulated over about 30 years of climbing.
Thanks again and even if it's not mine, thanks for being stand-up and bringing the topic up!
scott.e.tarrant@gmail.com
(Jeff, if you have any old pics that show my/our racks, please post!)
Thanks again Joseph!
Scott

I appreciate the support, thanks.

Jon OBrien · · Nevada · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 917

Yo, I had all my gear stolen in a big blue bag a few months ago, it was a mix of c3, master cams in smaller sizes, two random cams approx. ..6-.75 and then a red/ gold link cam and triples of purple camelot through blue and a 4'' camelot as well...

there was a top rope solo rig in there: ushba/ roll

ascender

TC pros

a couple harnesses, including an alpine harness (webbing)

an old purple gri gri and a new blue one..

belay master carabiners that avoid cross loading

a few ropes including a bi pattern new england 70 meter

black diamond orange headlamp

red rock guide book

lemme know please!

jkobrien@interact.ccsd.net

P.S. Huge shout out to the owners of Desert Rock Sports, they re-outfitted me and I highly recommend them: awesome shop, great gear, good people..

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "did anybody have their trad gear stolen in the…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started