Mountain Project Logo

Learning to Boulder

Original Post
Morgan S · · Richfield, UT · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 101

So I've just bought my first pair of climbing shoes and a crash pad. I have 0 climbing experience but have already started tinkering around on some boulders. I live in a very rural area and there are no gyms or established Boulder problems near by. I have found plenty of good boulders to climb but none of them have been climbed before. What is the best way for someone in my situation to learn how to Boulder (or learn any form of climbing for that matter)? Thus far I have just been obsessively reading or watching anything related to climbing that can be found surfin the world wide Web. Any better ideas?

Sean Haynes · · Los Angeles · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 102

Just like, have fun man.

dahigdon · · phoenix, Az · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 220

Climbing is more fun than reading.. Do that instead.

I am definitely climbing and loving it... I guess Im asking for any tips on the best way to teach myself how to climb

Avalon'cha · · your girlfriend's bedroom · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 35
Boulderutah wrote:I am definitely climbing and loving it... I guess Im asking for any tips on the best way to teach myself how to climb
Boldering IS practice for climbing. Just have fun. And if a problem seems too easy, just skip the holds that make it that way. Ive turned plent of 5.6 routes into 5.10 by saying "that crack to the left is off limits" Also, find a partner, they'll help you keep pushing hard.
Mathias · · Loveland, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 306
Boulderutah wrote:I am definitely climbing and loving it... I guess Im asking for any tips on the best way to teach myself how to climb
Sounds like you're doing just fine. When you find something that's too hard but that you can make a little progress on, call it a project and keep going back to it. The things you can climb, keep climbing, and try to make them smoother. Try skipping holds by using dynamic movement. Try making static moves, slow smooth and controlled. Try using the smallest foot holds you can. Just keep it fun, and know when to call it a day and come back another time, or move on to a different problem.

Great advice! Thanks. Just needed a little confirmation haha

Rob Gordon · · Hollywood, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 115

If the boulders are actually good to climb they've probably been climbed.

Paul Ross · · Keswick, Cumbria · Joined Apr 2001 · Points: 22,236
Rob Gordon · · Hollywood, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 115

You just started climbing but are sure of them being an undiscovered crag? In a climbing Mecca like Utah? Okay... Kudos.

Edit: Oh wait different guy. Who doesn't know the boulders in question. Im just gonna exit this conversation.

"pretend climbing" or not... I don't really care! It's how enjoyable it is that matters to me, not someone else's opinion.

Walter Galli · · Las vegas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 2,247

The best way to learn is climb, climb,climb,climb and sometimes climb... Enjoy man get strong fearless and motivated, this is about it.

USBRIT wrote: Well a few years back it was.. Now its pretend climbing ...or for those who cannot afford a rope !
First of all awsome picture, and yes I agree with you practice on hard Boulder and then do the real shit,, I mean the climbing..

And then do the real climbing,

Michael Spiesbach · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 105
Boulderutah wrote:"pretend climbing" or not... I don't really care! It's how enjoyable it is that matters to me, not someone else's opinion.
Daw.. the little boulderer got upset that the real climbers were picking on him... :'(
Nathan G · · Utah · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 10

What part of Utah are you from? I just moved to Ogden about a month ago and there's a fantastic boulder field at the end of 27th street. It'll keep you busy for quite awhile.

Quinn Baker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1

People who claim bouldering "isn't real climbing" are either just salty some shirtless beanie wearing dudebro stole their girlfriend or are just old wannabe hardmen telling stories about how "back in my day we climbed with swami belts and hemp ropes" lol

In all seriousness though, I don't really get this whole idea that bouldering isn't real climbing. Yes, it used to be something people did to practice for longer climbs, but its its own discipline now with different focuses. Also, if you hate on bouldering so much, maybe don't read posts in the bouldering subforum lol

As for the OP, sean.hayes summed up my feelings pretty well. If you're looking for tips on technique or training, youtube has some great videos on technique tips you can look on there. As for training tips, the training subforum here is good, as well as sites like trainingforclimbing.com or trainingbeta.com

Chillax Backer... I love bouldering i just start longer routes because i belive is An evolving process , but we are joking sometimes don't take everything bad, and sometimes listen to old stories is part of the game, there is climbers in this site that have a lot to teach to everyone, so we got to respect the old wolfs....

Quinn Baker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1
Walter Galli wrote:Chillax Backer... I love bouldering i just start longer routes because i belive is An evolving process , but we are joking sometimes don't take everything bad, and sometimes listen to old stories is part of the game, there is climbers in this site that have a lot to teach to everyone, so we got to respect the old wolfs....
Was kidding about the first part, if that wasnt obvious lol. I have nothing against old guys with stories. Stories are great and offer good learning opportunities for sure.

Al good Backer, just want to say that almost everyone start bouldering as a first approach to climbing, and then there is Evolution so you want be happy anymore at one point just doing boulders and I can't wait to see that happen, like most of the best climbers on in the world they all move to bigger walls, and a advice I can give you to evolve step away from the comfort zone and challenge yourself every time you approach a climb, this is how I evolve in my climbing a lot in no time,,, cheers,,,,

I'm down in Richfield Ut. Finding tons of great places to climb. Headed up to Joes soon!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Bouldering
Post a Reply to "Learning to Boulder"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.