Mountain Project Logo

Marking Gear

Original Post
A Smith · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 95

I'm sure this has already been addressed (feel free to point me to another topic if you know of it off the top of you head), but a quick search didn't get me there.

Looking for ideas/suggestions on the best way to mark you gear. I currently have all my hardwear marked w/ green electrical tape. This works great until it gets really warm out and the tape starts sliding/peeling off. Any other good ideas out there? I know some people use nail polish, but I feel like that would be pretty brittle and chip off easily.

Thanks!
-Alex

Yer Gonna Die · · Cragville · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 175

nail polish in an area that doesn't wear. end of thread. no more discussion.

Chase Bowman · · Durango, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 1,010

Nail polish works great as long as you give it a few hours to dry. I though it would be brittle as well, but it's held up great so far.

Brandon English · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 180
Chase D · · CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 195

What if there are no women in the house? You gonna go buy nail polish for your gear? Choose a pretty color...test it on your toe nails first.

Chase Bowman · · Durango, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 1,010

It only costs like 4 bucks at Walmart... Get Burberry, it's really cute.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86

You can also put some wine glass charms on your gear to be more unique.

Max Forbes · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 108

Tape makes crags messy. Some people say nail polish doesn't last. Pick spots that don't rub, like where the carabiner gate pivots, and paint there. Works perfectly.

A Smith · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 95

Sweet, thanks guys!

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

Has anyone tried oil-based Sharpies?

Bang Nhan · · Charlottesville, VA · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 35

They used to make this marking resin called the Mark, will stick on the metal for "eternal". See two reviews in the links below
rockandice.com/lates-news/t…
alpinist.com/doc/web08f/ms-…

Sadly, I think they have stopped making them ( thebottlebelt.com/products_…).

brysonh · · SLC, UT · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0

I can't speak to the seller but found this:
http://casanovasadventures.com/catalog/accessories/p1490.htm#.VusDqPlVhHw Mark

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Chase Bowman wrote:It only costs like 4 bucks at Walmart... Get Burberry, it's really cute.
Sorry, but that's MY color. Pick something else.
Matěj Eberle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2020 · Points: 0

Hey,

just to make sure I would like to ask you for you oppinion. I bought this paint at the hardware store. I just have no idea what it means alkyl-based. (sorry non-English speaking country) It's cool to use that for the markings on climbing hardware, right? It isn't some kind of super corrosive, correct? :D

Victor Creazzi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2022 · Points: 0

My hardware is all old enough that it totally stands out next to the other peoples gear that I climb with.

Eric Bowes · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 873

For those of you who might be interested in mechanical engraving but are paranoid about going too deep (past petzl and edelrid's 0.1 mm recommendation), I tested the engraving depth of the basic Dremel 290-02 (~20 bucks on amazon) with the standard tip at setting 1 (lowest). The average depth of a stroke in anodized aluminum (BD neutrino biners) was 0.03 mm (ranging from 0.02 - 0.04 mm - for those who are especially interested, the material pushed up at the edges of the stroke is raised relative to the surface by about 0.04 mm - 0.05 mm)

Levi Goldman · · San Francisco · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 10
fossana wrote: Has anyone tried oil-based Sharpies?

Yes :) paint markers are the best I’ve found, very quick and controlled application 

J B · · Cambridge, MA · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 20

Tough tags are great for climbers who participate in events or do a little citizen guiding. 

Fabien M · · Cannes · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 5

As most people I ve been marking my hardware with nail buzz, works pretty great, sometimes you may have to add more but that is a good solution IMHO.
I ve always limited marking to cams and ice screws btw.
A few months ago I bought a laser engraving machine for my business and I ve been starting to engrave a couple of pieces.
Of course I chose none exposed parts but I m still unsure about the durability since laser engraving is very superficial. I may be able to report back in a few months.
At work, I also have a classic diamond tip engraving machine but, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I m afraid it may be a bit too agressive so I never tried it.

Eric D · · East Bay, CA · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

A buddy of mine uses a label maker to print tiny stickers with his name and phone number on them. Seems like a good idea. 

I just use duct tape. Plenty of unique colors and cheap. 

Edit: Realized OP is a few years old. Did I just reply to a bunch of bots? Am I a bot? Is this a simulation? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Marking Gear"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started