Mountain Project Logo

Ruth Gorge, Moose's Tooth, H&E April 2016

Original Post
Tyler Lappetito · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 0

This would be a good first AK route for my ability and experience level. Lots of moving pieces to pull off a trip like this but I have the money saved away this year so that is a start. My schedule for April is also looking pretty good. Conditions and Partner dependent. I'm a bit wary doing a route like this with a stranger but climbing things that are big for me via this method has worked in the past. Biggest thing for me is being super honest about current fitness, ability and past experiences. Another good fit from my perspective is climbing with someone who is motivated by experiencing these mountains as opposed to self-promotion on the internet for bagging something famous on most alpinists' tick list. I'm choosing this route because I'm a realist and just want to get into the hills up there for the first time. Email me at tlappetito at gmail if interested. Thanks!

Steve Towne · · Longmont, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 305

Ham and Eggs is a great route, but you'll find it in much better condition come May, 2nd week likely even better. I've done it twice and April is just a little early. The great neve starts forming in May

Tyler Lappetito · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 0

Thanks for the tip. May also works for me. I've heard from the pilots mostly that depending on the snowpack, April can be good for lower elevation routes like ham and eggs. First time getting beta from someone who had done the route so thanks again!

Flex · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 1,025

My partner and I tried it in early/mid May last year and were shut down from temps that were too warm. We tried climbing at night for better temps and that still wasn't enough. Maybe last year was an anomoly but I would think late april could be really good.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "Ruth Gorge, Moose's Tooth, H&E April 2016"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started