Mountain Project Logo

Dodging Spring Break Climbers

Original Post
And Wilk · · Espanola, NM · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 55

I'm wondering what crags in the PNW might be a good option for next week (3/19-3/26) with regards to crowds (aka limited college students).

I'm willing to suffer a bit when it comes to conditions but I'd rather not suffer when it comes to crowds. Any advice? What does Icicle Creek look like this time of year?

Thanks!

Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56

This is what the icicle looks like:
iciclechalet.com/webcam.html

The weather is a crap shoot this time of year.

Go to smith, take a trad rack, you'll be able to get on anything you want. The lower gorge is amazing and usually not crowded at all.

Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

You should be more worried about weather than college kids in the PNW right now. I'd be watching Squamish on the wet side or Vantage on the other side of the mountains to see where you can find dry rock.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

As someone who is deciding between a Smith trip next week vs. putting it off by two weeks, how bad is it going to be during that spring break week? I haven't been there (at all), so I don't know what to expect. Bad enough to make it worth postponing? I'm not expecting solitude, but would like to avoid a total circus junkshow.

Worthwhile data points:
-My work schedule is flexible, so changing my timing is easy.
-I would want to get on classic sport climbs, not seek out obscurities.
-Would be seeking out routes in the 5.12 and 5.13 realm. Does that get you away from crowds, or do these routes have a line too?

Chris Sepic · · Bend, OR · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 45

JCM: The main area is generally a junk show during spring break week. The classic 12s there will be busy. That being said, if you're into basalt there are some classics down in the gorge that would still make it worth the trip.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Dodging Spring Break Climbers"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started