Mountain Project Logo

Camalot Repair Suggestions

Original Post
Jplotz · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,315

The trigger on this #1 camalot is blown out obviously. I used a small zip tie to keep it in place but that was kind of bulky.

What would you do/use to make the engage the wire and plastic trigger again other than a zip tie. Just looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Broke camalot

Broke Camalot

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Send it to Black Diamond for repair?

andrew thomas · · Orcas island · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 105
FrankPS wrote:Send it to Black Diamond for repair?
bd won't repair that
Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

I used to use Wired Bliss but I guess they are no more. Their Facebook site suggests the company below but I have no experience or knowledge of this company

runoutcustoms.com/Cam_Repai…

Firestone · · California · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 186

Bend a paperclip into a rectangle so it can be hidden under the trigger. You could get both wires attached and prevent the other one from failing.

Evan Deis wrote:How did you do that?
I bootied it in this condition.
20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Jplotz wrote:The trigger on this #1 camalot is blown out obviously. I used a small zip tie to keep it in place but that was kind of bulky. What would you do/use to make the engage the wire and plastic trigger again other than a zip tie. Just looking for ideas. Thanks!
You could weld it.

I realized I was putting too much thought into this. It's on my "B" rack anyways. Behold! Frankencam!

Repair job...

And if anyone is wondering, .050 gage weed whacker wire fits perfectly into the trigger wire holes of mastercams and camalots.

Gosh Glance · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 4,382
Firestone wrote: Bend a paperclip into a rectangle so it can be hidden under the trigger. You could get both wires attached and prevent the other one from failing.

Do you have a picture of this idea by chance? I'm trying to visualize but having a hard time... perhaps it's these long work hours...

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54
Jplotz wrote: And if anyone is wondering, .050 gage weed whacker wire fits perfectly into the trigger wire holes of mastercams and camalots.

lol, nice. FWIW you can replace trigger wires with 1/16 cable and some copper 1/16 ferrules. Just leave the stiff wire attachment on the cam and chop off the ferrule where the cable meets the wire.

At any rate, it's now a work of art. If anything, value increases when something is one of a kind.
Paul W · · NY · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 1

I've made similar repairs by cutting a small length of metal rod, heating it up enough so melts into the underside of the trigger and becomes 'welded' in place.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Camalot Repair Suggestions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started