Mountain Project Logo

Family Friendly Climbing Near I-17

Original Post
jacob m s · · Provo, Utah · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 135

On Saturday March 19th Ill be returning with my family from Mesa along I-17 to Utah. We are planning on making a stop along the way to do some sport climbing. I have been trying to find a good place, I'm looking for something close to I-17, a short approach less then 1/2 hour, and with easy climbing 5.7ish it would be great if it had something more like a 5.10 that I could hop on, but it doesn't need it.

I have been thinking maybe the The Son Tower would be a good choice? Thoughts or Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

jacob m s · · Provo, Utah · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 135

bump

JJ Schlick · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined May 2006 · Points: 11,803

The Pitl is your best option with plenty of bolted moderates and an easy ten minute approach. It's about a ten minute drive from the interstate.

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

A little further from l-17 in Prescott Time Zone Wall. Good granite and a whole wall of moderates. Wouldn't be to far out of the way it's 30-40 mins from I-17. Easy approach and great scenery.

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

We will be in NM for the whole week starting tomorrow Monday. Have 10, 6, 1 yr old, wife climbs 5.6 to 5.8. I am down to hit 5.10/11 w u. Have kid harnesses, tons of rope, read gear. PM in the works.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. First NM climbs since 1993!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Family Friendly Climbing Near I-17"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started