Mountain Project Logo

Like for reals certain death

Original Post
Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

I never get tired of reading these ridiculously over the top articles.

mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/ale…

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Austin Baird wrote:I never get tired of reading these ridiculously over the top articles. mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/ale…
Indeed a bit ridiculous. However, if that was her very first climb outdoors ever, that would be quite impressive. It said she trained for a year, but then also said she has no climbing experience...
Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

"I was pulling and pulling and pulling on the rope, desperate to ascend to the next stop where I could feel slightly less in fear of falling to my death, but I just seemed to be going nowhere. Ropes and clips hung from every inch of my waist and I was constantly getting in a tangle. Somehow, and who knows how, I managed make it home just before it got dark."

I'm guessing this was with a professional guide(s). Money tends to enable climbing situations like this. I believe the better guides try to have their clients ramp up more gradually. Still, I imagine some clients - and makers of popular media - seek out experiences like this.

Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115

Top roping 9 pitches of 5.8 over 3 days. A team of guides to cook your food, haul your water, and setup your bed.

My God, this woman could have died on this "horrific" ordeal!

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Alex’s gruelling climb raised an enormous £645,595 for Sport Relief.

If true, I'm willing to cut her some slack.
Kevin Neville · · Oconomowoc, WI · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 15
Mark E Dixon wrote:Alex’s gruelling climb raised an enormous £645,595 for Sport Relief..
And that's why the tale has to be told as dramatically as possible, to reward the donors/audience with as much vicarious thrill as possible.
Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Please stop, this a guided (by a big name) stunt for a British televised fund raiser,
Yes 928,691.64 US Dollars is a good haul but this was a tall, well traveled corner
not an extremely exposed desert tower or World famous Yosemite wall.

She was JUGGIN' a fixed line, and being HAULED UP All At The Same Time.

every 15 feet or so, she would stop and un-clip from a piece of gear.
most likely only collecting a few "clips" and slings, (those of a certain color ?)
so she would feel like a real participant & not
a bag of spuds...She is British, so straight teeth and a smile in moments of adversity is what counts,
. . . a whole lot.
I think that -Kelly Rippa- (The morning show chick) would, be more fun & do far better

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

1000 pull ups... well i am assuming she didn't climb it. Sounds like they said she "climbed" the last 100ft on her own. So it sounds like she wasn't really climbing but being hauled up. We know she didn't free climb a 5.12, so at most she was pulling on aid gear set by someone else.

Jer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 26

I can't be the only person who was thinking of a different Alex Jones.

"WE MADE IT TO THE TOP OF THE MOONLIGHT BUTTRESS I HAVE THE DOCUMENTS!!!"

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460
Jer wrote:I can't be the only person who was thinking of a different Alex Jones. "WE MADE IT TO THE TOP OF THE MOONLIGHT BUTTRESS I HAVE THE DOCUMENTS!!!"
Folks, we have breaking news, I've talked to Navy Seals, Delta Force, you name it, the are AWAKE to the fact that the Moonlight Buttress is just another cog in the globalist eugenicist's scheme to depopulate the continent and usher in the North American Union.

But before we get to that, let me tell you about Infowars Life, the highest quality line of nutraceuticals that you will find. Such as Super Male Vitality and Super Female Vitality
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
The Blueprint Part Dank wrote: Folks, we have breaking news, I've talked to Navy Seals, Delta Force, you name it, the are AWAKE to the fact that the Moonlight Buttress is just another cog in the globalist eugenicist's scheme to depopulate the continent and usher in the North American Union. But before we get to that, let me tell you about Infowars Life, the highest quality line of nutraceuticals that you will find. Such as Super Male Vitality and Super Female Vitality
+1
You just need to find a way to include a false flag attack in the narrative.
The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460
Marc801 wrote: +1 You just need to find a way to include a false flag attack in the narrative.
Revised:

Folks, we have breaking news, I've talked to Navy Seals, Delta Force, you name it, the are AWAKE to the fact that the Moonlight Buttress is just another cog in the globalist eugenicist's scheme to depopulate the continent and usher in the North American Union. We were the first to report this, and it was linked on the FRONT PAGE of Drudge last month when we warned you about the Nose speed record being a false flag intended to bring the Huber Brothers back to California for the next Bohemian Grove meeting.

But before we get to that, let me tell you about Infowars Life, the highest quality line of nutraceuticals that you will find. Such as Super Male Vitality and Super Female Vitality
Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

In her defense, she was climbing with Andy Kirkpatrick. Ever heard him speak? Every story is a harrowing brush with death - a couple days of them would rattle anyone's nerves. The guy is amazing. :-)

steverett · · Boston, MA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105

"I completed 1000 pull ups over a course of seven hours"

Sounds like she campused for 7 hours straight, amazing her makeup still looked that good

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Like for reals certain death"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started