Mountain Project Logo

Rope in Hybrid

Original Post
Rob Gordon · · Hollywood, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 115

I just bought a Ford Escape Hybrid and I believe the battery is in the trunk under a floor mat. Do I need to take any precautions when transporting a rope short distances and/or during long trips. Help me understand, gear geniuses. Thanks.

Micah Klesick · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 3,971

No, you don't. If something fails on your car bad enough to cause a problem with the rope, you'll have much bigger issues than a rope replacement.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

To expand on previous answer - batteries and climbing ropes don't mix due typical car batteries containing acid and outgassing.
Modern hybrid batteries are designed differently

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Rob Gordon wrote:I just bought a Ford Escape Hybrid and I believe the battery is in the trunk under a floor mat. Do I need to take any precautions when transporting a rope short distances and/or during long trips. Help me understand, gear geniuses. Thanks.
This is a question I put a ton of effort into researching back when I owned a hybrid and stored gear right in the back by the battery 24/7. What I learned about my hybrid is that the LiIon battery is externally vented outside the vehicle on the passenger side. Between the battery there is an armored shield, rubber mat, and the auto carpet. Accordingly, what I did was I stored all my gear in polypropylene cases from Wal-Mart (polypropylene is immune to acid), and stored the soft goods on the left side of the vehicle. I kept my gear in there for a year without a problem.

If you're mechanically inclined, I would dissemble the rear and make sure neither the HV nor 12v batteries are leaking. I've seen the 12v battery leak before in hybrids. Also, make sure the external venting tubes are actually connected. I have also seen the 12v battery get replaced and the tech never reconnected the venting tube....

Just look for this on the plastic containers:
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

+1 to keeping your rope in a sturdy plastic bin. Everywhere.

But I don't think keeping a rope in the car for A YEAR is a good idea.

Gunkiemike wrote: But I don't think keeping a rope in the car for A YEAR is a good idea.
What do you think happens to people who are living out of their van, climbing full time? The gear is either in their pack at the crag or in their van. That's the gear's entire life.
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
20 kN wrote: What do you think happens to people who are living out of their van, climbing full time? The gear is either in their pack at the crag or in their van. That's the gear's entire life.
OK, I ASSumed you were storing it there. Small apartment etc. There are folks who do that (and then ask online if the rope's been overcooked during the intervening 9 months).
Rob Gordon · · Hollywood, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 115

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the detailed response 20kn.

MDoody · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

+1 on the plastic bin.

Many Ford hybrids DO have their 12V battery, as well as their high voltage battery, in the trunk.

As mentioned, batteries off-gas. If your alternator fails in the right manner, your battery can off-gas quite considerably.

MDoody wrote:+1 on the plastic bin. Many Ford hybrids DO have their 12V battery, as well as their high voltage battery, in the trunk. As mentioned, batteries off-gas. If your alternator fails in the right manner, your battery can off-gas quite considerably.
Hybrids dont have alternators, and the batteries are supposed to be vented outside the vehicle. I did see a 12v battery leak when it was overcharged on a battery charger through. There was a pool of acid in the back in the battery box.
Medic741 · · Des Moines, IA (WTF) · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 265

Lug around my gear In a big pelican case from Craigslist. Makes it worry free putting gear in a buddies car

J. Serpico · · Saratoga County, NY · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 140

I typically always transport all my gear in some sort of container. Usually just a big expedition duffle or the worst case a reusable shopping bag. I know whats been on the floor of my car hatch, but I don't trust anyone else.

Probably not a good idea to store your gear in the car, but like 20Kn said, unless you strictly day climb locally, most peoples gear spends some time "stored" in their car or van. I typically make every effort to keep it out of the sun and in as cool a place as possible in my car. I assume, however, that most vans people live out of don't get nearly as hot as a car. Fewer windows (typically) where almost all the heat gains come from, the windows they do have are often heavily tinted or blacked out with some sort of insulation/shade, and finally fans. Most vans have continuous ventilation -active or passive.

MDoody · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0
20 kN wrote: Hybrids dont have alternators, and the batteries are supposed to be vented outside the vehicle.
True, but this seems to have turned into a general discussion. Hybrid or not, if your carrying around a plastic bin full of lead and acid in your trunk, I would take precautions.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Rope in Hybrid "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started