Mountain Project Logo

Soft catch with Wren/ Rock Exoctica Soloist

Original Post
Brian M · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 155

Hey y'all

Anybody have a good system for providing a soft catch while rope soloing ? I was thinking of tying some weight/ my pack into the system like in the picture to disperse some of the energy generated in a fall.

You'd want something fairly heavy I feel like because other wise you're just introducing more slack into the system and not dispersing enough during a fall which would be no bueno.

Any ideas/ thoughts?

Ryan7crew · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 485

Unless you are doing some crazy hard aid it's not really needed. There is always a certain amount of slack in the system to dampen the fall and the rope is dynamic too.

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740

If you have enough air to fall into, I guess. Don't fall low or onto a ledge.

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90

Try the Kong Kisa.
Attach one end to your anchor and the other to your rope.
When you fall, the force will pull cord (not your rope) through the Kisa and reduce impact. Kind of like a reusable screamer.

kong.it/en/2-products/items…

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Ryan7crew wrote: There is always a certain amount of slack in the system to dampen the fall and the rope is dynamic too.
Adding slack into the system increases the fall factor and force on the top piece, not reduces it. This is well known, well discussed, and well documented on this forum and every other one.
eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

At some distance, the extra fall distance outweighs the energy dissipation of lifting a heavy object. I do not remember the distance, but I remember it was relatively short, like 10 cm or something.

With that in mind, perhaps a better solution would be to attach the weight to the masterpoint. Doing so would, theoretically, keep the masterpoint weighted downwards so it would have to lift that weight to travel upwards to catch a fall

Ryan7crew · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 485
20 kN wrote: Adding slack into the system increases the fall factor and force on the top piece, not reduces it. This is well known, well discussed, and well documented on this forum and every other one.
You are correct. I was more comparing it to the tightness that an incompetent belayer could create when you are above your last piece. This could increase your acceleration into the wall. I was just saying that this is not an issue when rope soloing.
bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 3,065

use a rope with 7-8 KN of impact force

beal, tendon, etc ...

thats all there is to it

;)

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Ryan7crew wrote: You are correct. I was more comparing it to the tightness that an incompetent belayer could create when you are above your last piece. This could increase your acceleration into the wall. I was just saying that this is not an issue when rope soloing.
That sounds more like an issue of a hard catch vs soft catch. Indeed noob belayers often tend to pull you tight and give you a hard catch when you're about to whip. But a soft catch is not created by feeding slack into the system, it's created by the belayer jumping into the fall and allowing himself to get yanked up, which is effectively the scenario the OP is trying to create.
Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

Alright if you´ve got a fully loaded haul bag or two as you need to at least enough weight to equal a belayer.
If you haven´t that much weight then just arrange the rope through a belay device attatched to the anchor and use a normal pack to simulate the belayers hand grip, I use about a 15kg pack and two karabiners (for extra braking) in an ATC XP.

David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 70
Jim Titt wrote:Alright if you´ve got a fully loaded haul bag or two as you need to at least enough weight to equal a belayer. If you haven´t that much weight then just arrange the rope through a belay device attatched to the anchor and use a normal pack to simulate the belayers hand grip, I use about a 15kg pack and two karabiners (for extra braking) in an ATC XP.
I've been rope soloing for years, and I never even thought of that. Nice. How do you attach the pack to the rope? A Prusik?
David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 70
thebmags wrote:Hey y'all Anybody have a good system for providing a soft catch while rope soloing ?
I just use the weight of the haul bag if I have one, or use a screamer if I don't.
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

You are rope soloing, don't effing fall. Typically when I am rope soloing there is plenty of slack to offer a softish catch. Once you climb past the middle mark on a rope then there is usually even more slack in the system.That word, solo, is your indicator to pucker your butthole extra tight and to not fall. Or at least that's what I was taught. Who is really bringing all the gear required to rope solo and then bringing an extra dead body for a soft catch anyways.

jackkelly00 · · Chocorua, NH · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 325

YATES SCREAMER attached directly to anchor. If on two bolts, have screamer take most force until other bolt(s)/anchor piece(s) are tensioned.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
David Coley wrote: I just use the weight of the haul bag if I have one, or use a screamer if I don't.
I put a Screamer in the anchor. Never tested it though.
Sam England · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 410
turd furgeson wrote:Who is really bringing all the gear required to rope solo and then bringing an extra dead body for a soft catch anyways.
Fill bag with rocks right before you take off.
Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90
sam england wrote: Fill bag with rocks right before you take off.
Take pic of rocks before you fill bag so that you can return them all to their original and natural locations after your glorious send. (You wouldn't want to accidentally improve the fall zone.)
Brian M · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 155
Jim Titt wrote:Alright if you´ve got a fully loaded haul bag or two as you need to at least enough weight to equal a belayer. If you haven´t that much weight then just arrange the rope through a belay device attatched to the anchor and use a normal pack to simulate the belayers hand grip, I use about a 15kg pack and two karabiners (for extra braking) in an ATC XP.
I like this idea a lot, you come up with this yourself ?
David Coley wrote: I've been rope soloing for years, and I never even thought of that. Nice. How do you attach the pack to the rope? A Prusik?
Just a knot and a karabiner or tie a few half hitches through the haul loop, anything will do. I normally set up a ground anchor and put the ATC on the first bolt, the sack sits on the ground with enough slack to get nearly to the ATC before the rope comes finally tight. If there´s no reasonable ground anchor then the first bolt does double duty, whatever knot you use isn´t going through an ATC.
thebmags wrote: I like this idea a lot, you come up with this yourself ?
Sure, I don´t big-wall so don´t drag a 100kg pig around but rope-solo other stuff so looked for an easier way to get the same effect.
J A · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 45

Screamer in the line, just up rope of the anchor (between two fig 8's on a bight with enough slack to let the screamer extend). I have been leading with a soloist for many years and taken just one fall that ripped the screamer. Mostly I don't lead stuff I expect to fall on and climb conservatively when alone. I am talking about real climbing - not aiding.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Soft catch with Wren/ Rock Exoctica Soloist"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started