Mountain Project Logo

Camalot Ultralight Prototype Question

Original Post
Brandon Gottung · · CO Western Slope · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,613

I bootied a #2 Camalot Ultralight the other day - pretty stoked. I noticed it's labeled strength at 6 kN (compared to the 12 kN of the ones on the market) and that the dyneema on the inside is colored bright yellow. I'm curious if anyone here knows why there is such a discrepancy between the strengths of these models. The manufacture date is 2014, so I'll be using it for the next 8 years. I'll be sure to share how it fails if it does . . .

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

You could contact Black Diamond and ask them. Are you sure it's a Camalot Ultralight? Did they start manufacturing them in 2014?

Systematic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 317
kablauch Blauch · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 20
Brandon Gottung wrote:I bootied a #2 Camalot Ultralight the other day - pretty stoked. I noticed it's labeled strength at 6 kN (compared to the 12 kN of the ones on the market) and that the dyneema on the inside is colored bright yellow. I'm curious if anyone here knows why there is such a discrepancy between the strengths of these models. The manufacture date is 2014, so I'll be using it for the next 8 years. I'll be sure to share how it fails if it does . . .
Brandon,
Did you by any chance booty that ultralite on Bird Brain Boulevard? If so, I lost a prototype #2 BD Ultralite, it has an orange 'prototype' tag on it. They were on loan last month. If you have it in your heart to send my way, we can talk reward?? I posted it missing a little while ago...see the above link. Thanks man.
Andy Walbon · · Bellingham,WA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 230

Strength : [.4] 8 kN (1798 lbf)
[.5] 10 kN (2248 lbf)
[.75] 12 kN (2698 lbf)
[#1] 12 kN (2698 lbf)
[#2] 12 kN (2698 lbf)
[#3] 12 kN (2698 lbf)
[#4] 12 kN (2698 lbf)

blackdiamondequipment.com/e…

kablauch Blauch · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 20

On closer inspection, my prototype BD Ultralites have no rating on the tags, just an orange tag with logo. BD assures me they're full strength and the dyneema cord is white. Not sure what cam was bootied. I'll just relinquish the one that went missing to the universe...or someone who actually finds it.

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90

Once the dyneema turns bright yellow, it's all over.

Brandon Gottung · · CO Western Slope · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,613

I did not find the cam on Bird Brain, sorry. The dyneema is rather bright yellow, but I'll still be climbing on it once I fix the trigger wires. Anyone that knows more about the prototypes, please chime in . . .

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Camalot Ultralight Prototype Question"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started