Mountain Project Logo

boreal Ace

Original Post
djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

can anyone offer comments about the fit of boreal shoes?
Thank you in advance.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Do they even still make the Ace? It was the must-have shoe at the Gunks 15-20 years ago. I bought several pair and still have one pair that I climb in. Great all day, all around shoe.

wivanoff · · Northeast, USA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 674

I think they do still make them. Or at least they are still available.

backwoods.com/boreal-ace-cl…

These look a little different structurally then mine. And mine are red or maroon. The ones available now are probably generation 2 so I can only comment on the ones I own.

They are board lasted so are stiffer than other shoes. I find them to be fairly comfortable and they hold up well. Mine have been resoled twice and the toe cap and uppers are still in great shape. They seem to run true to size.

I still use mine for local cragging but tend to wear my Mythos to the Gunks.

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

Looks like they're still made (or Boreal is lazy about removing discontinued things from their site): borealoutdoor.com/en/produc…

Now if only they would resurrect the Vector.

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140

Boreal fit great. In the bottom of my closet. The rubber is as sticky as wet ice. You will climb 2 grades harder in 5.10.

mcarizona · · Flag · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 180

Its my main shoe (skilled climbers don't recommend them). I've had the black ones, red ones and now they are grey. Best multi-pitch shoe for me. Comfortable, sticky and you can walk around in them.

mtntools.com/

Steve

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

I Have a pair I used 20+ years ago but long since retied. They were quite stiff but fit great and edged well. The rubber was OK by the standards back then but not up to modern standards (guess I could resole them with Stealth if I wanted).
I climbed in them a lot and they are still in great shape (except they need resoled). These were the black ones with green laces. One of the more comfortable shoes I have owned for long trad routes.
Currently, there are probably many much better shoes I would buy before getting Aces but to each their own.
I currently have 5.10 Stonelands VCS and TC Pros (for longer routes) & they are both superior to my Aces (but they are 23 yrs old).

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

I'm assuming the rubber is much better now

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50
djh860 wrote:I'm assuming the rubber is much better now
No doubt.
They are pretty good shoes still. I climbed in my old ones a couple times last summer just for fun and they did fine. Except for my TC Pros, most comfortable climbing shoes I have worn.
kmb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5

I have the pair linked by wivanoff. My goto outdoor shoe for just about everything but routes that I know will need some serious edging. Fit is amazing, cracks are super comfy. I have somewhat wide feet so the lacing helps.

If you want more performance instead of comfort try the Scarpa TechnoX shoes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "boreal Ace"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.